1873 for Northern Lighthouse Commissioners, D & T Stevenson, Engineers.
LIGHTHOUSE: Tapering circular-section tower, brick built painted, with string course below top upper courses curbing out to support concrete cap on which iron lantern sits. Lantern glazing triangular-paned, domed top plain iron railing round cap. Small rectangular windows spiral round tower following staircase. Door in SE face, adjacent to link block (see below), doorcase, has painted quoins.
KEEPER'S HOUSE: Main block 2-storey 2-bay 6-bay flat-roofed, brick built, with cornice and blocking course. Short chimney stacks in pairs on E and W ends. Principal elevation to S, 6-bay. To E single-storey 1-by 2-bay flat-roofed wing with tall chimney stacks on S and E elevations. To W lean-to-wing with corrugated iron roof, pair doors in W elevation. Base course.
Houses linked to tower by 2-storey flat-roofed block with house door in E face, treated as lighthouse door.
Later flat-roofed single-storey building to NE. Tower and houses enclosed within iron railing on masonry dwarf wall.
To east is walled enclosure with pair of coal cellars in masonry and brick.