Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PRESTON HOUSE INCLUDING SCREEN WALL AND COACH ARCHWAYLB12983

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
18/06/1990
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Parish
Linlithgow
NGR
NS 99578 75849
Coordinates
299578, 675849

Description

William Burn and David Bryce, 1844. 2-storey Scots Baronial mansion. Roughly square-plan with lower 2-storey L-plan wing abutting SE corner. Tooled, squared and coursed cream snadstone with ashlar dressings.

Base, and eaves courses, corbelled at 1st floor; single, bipartite windows and dormerheaded windows with chamfered reveals, crowstepped gables moulded on their outer edge, corbelled squared angle turrets with finialled fishscale slate piended roof.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: M-gabled bays joined at eaves by narrow balustraded parapet; squared angle turret to right; taller corbelled circular stair turret to left with finialled conical roof, fishscale slates, (recessed service wing to left see below). Fine Renaissance doorcase to outer right with lugged architrave, moulded keystone and frieze, ornately consoled cornice, 2-leaf panelled door, window at 1st floor with small bipartite gablehead window. Tripartite window at ground to left with 1st floor detailed as above.

N ELEVATION: 3 bays; advanced squared and corniced tripartite window to centre, blocking course with armorial crest and finialled corner pinnacles; 2 finialled dormerheads above. Flanked by canted windows at ground corbelled to square at 1st floor with wondow and gablehead window.

W ELEVATION: large single storey bowed conservatory at centre, 8-lights and doorway with stone mullions flanked by advanced tripartite corniced windows with coped blocking course and ball finials to conservatory and to corncers. Single dormerhead above to window at centre flanked by gabled bays with window at 1st floor and gabled bays with window at 1st floor and gablehead window. Square angle turrets.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2 windows at ground to left with window at 1st floor to right set in taller bay with lop-sided gable with gablehead window and with linked corniced and coped stack breaking gable to right. Recessed gabled bay to right with tripartite stair window with wooden mullions abutted by single storey gabled bay with bipartite window. (Service wing joined at right angles to right see below.)

SERVICE WING: asymmetrical roughly L-plan block with single windows to ground and 1st floor to gabled bays and dormerheaded windows to 1st floor. Link to house with 2 windows at ground and dormerheaded window above; joined at right angles to 2 bays, taller advanced gabled bay to left, bipartite window with dormerhead above to right. Gabled return with apex stack, door to left. Joined to wing at right angles with modern glazing at ground, dormerheaded windows above. 4 asymmetrical bays on return; 2 recessed bays at centre with door to left, bipartite dormerheaded windows above, flanked by advanced gabled bays, slapping at ground to left. Return to S with advanced gabled bay to centre. Gableh Gablehead return to W. Recessed courtyard to left. 2 gabled bays to S elevation, gabled return to W, slapping at ground to left.

Horizontal panes to large sash and case windows at ground, smaller have 12-pane sash and case windows. grey slate roofs with fishscale conical and pyramidal roofs to turrets with swept eaves, broad corniced and coped sandstone stacks, beak skewputts.

INTERIOR: Jacobean slim ribbed ceiling to hall; corniced rooms. Marble chimneypieces. Library has fitted bookcase with ornate decorated tops.

SCREEN WALL DIVIDING ENTRANCE COURT FROM SERVICE COURT: cream ashlar; arcade on low coped wall with gateway with stone strapwork decoration to overthrow. Round-headed carriage-arch to left (covered by creeper) with ball finials and ashlar birdcage bellcote over.

Statement of Special Interest

Designed for Alexander Seton by Burns and Bryce there also exists an unexecuted Italianate design for Preston House by Thomas Brown dated 1844. C McWilliam noted that the house had Bryce's favourate bay-windows canted below and then corbelled out to the square under crowstpped gables on the N elevation. He also refers to the square corner turrets "in Pinkie style" referring to Pinkie House,

Musselburgh which has 1825 additions by William Burn. Interestingly Pinkie had been acquired in 1597 by an Alexander Seton (later first Earl of Dunfermline) whose name is inscribed on the house. The conservatory on the W elevation of Preston House is an unexecuted plan for Falkland House designed by William Burn 1839-1844. The strairhall originally had stained glass, dated 1845 which is still in the possession of the owner. Preston House lodge with gates and gatepiers is listed below.

References

Bibliography

Perspective signed by Burn and Bryce in the possesion of West Lothian District Council. SRO Valuation Rolls VR 122/1. West Register House, architectural drawings RHP 3987. Rowand Anderson Collection Catalogue, p215 drawings for Preston House by Thomas Brown. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p335 and p398. John Gifford FIFE (1988) p221. NMRS, Ordnance Survey notebook, 1855.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESTON HOUSE INCLUDING SCREEN WALL AND COACH ARCHWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 17:40