Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

GRANGE HOUSE WITH CONSERVATORY, TERRACE GARDEN, PAVILIONS, LOGGIA AND SUNDIALLB12972

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1971
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
Parish
Linlithgow
NGR
NT 28 78768
Coordinates
300028, 678768

Description

J N Scott and A Lorne Campbell, 1904-1907. 2-storey, quadrangular-plan - Scottish Baronial style mansion with 17th century Renaissance details, dominated by a 4-storey square tower. Harled with cream sandstone ashlar dressings and crenellated parapet to tower. Chamfered window reveals, interrupted string course at 1st floor, dormerheaded windows with round-headed open pediments cradling finials to principal elevations, crowstepped gables.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4 storey tower off-centre left with mullioned and transomed hall window at ground, regular fenestration above, corbelled crenellated parapet, corbelled polygonal stair turret to SE angle, bartizan to SW corner of tower. advanced end bay to left; canted mullioned and transomed window with stone roof at ground, pair of pedimented monogrammed Renaissance windows at 1st floor, date stone '1907' and gablehead window above. Single storey balustraded porch in re-entrant angle with window in S face, doorcase on return to right with moulded surround and blocked Scamozzi Ionic pilasters, pediment with amorial crest, thistle motif over, 2-leaf door, deep-set half-glazed vestibule door. 2-bay slightly recessed wign to right of tower with canted window to centre flanked by windows, 2 dormerheaded windows above. Advanced gabled end bay to right, regular fenestration, gablehead window, 2-storey circular corner tower, windows facing SE, corbelled at 1st, conical roof.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6 advanced bays to right, 3 gabled bays to centre, lean-to projection with paired windows, regular windows flanking paired to outer right. Recessed bay to outer left, 3 windows at ground, window above, circular stair turret corbelled set in re-entrant angle, conical roof.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled return to E wing with forestair to outer left; single storey, 7-bay wing to right, bipartite windows to each bay, segmental-headed carriage arch to 5th bay from right.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5 asymmetrical bays; advanced gabled bay off-centre right with tripartite mullioned and transomed window at ground, corbelled above with corbel course overstepping window, small gablehead window, small gablehead window, tall wallhead stack to right; single storey conservatory in re-entrant angle to right (see below), dormerheaded window to outer right. 3 bays to left with canted window to centre with bay windows to right and left at ground, small basement window to right, moulded string course at 1st floor, dormerheaded windows above. 4 single storey bays to left, 2 tripartite windows to centre, gabled bay to outer left with bipartite window and apex stack, boarded door to outer right.

CONSERVATORY: rectangular-plan gabled conservatory with semi-circular entrance porch to W, 3 bays to side elevations. Harled base with ashlar buttresses dividing bays and piers with finials to outer corners.

COURTYARD: flat-roofed dormers.

N ELEVATION: 3-storey stair bow off-centre right, door to basement, 2-storey wing to right, durther door to far right, coped wallhead.

E ELEVATION: 2-storey block to left, single storey, 3-bay wing to right, door to left.

S ELEVATION: single storey, 6 bays; carriage arch to centre, 3 doors to right, windows flanking to left.

W ELEVATION: door to centre, windows to left and coal door, set-off 1st floor with 2 dormerheaded windows, bipartite dormer to left; 3-storey crowstepped gable to right, door to far right, windows at ground, 1st an

12-pane sash and case windows predominating, multi-pane to casement windows. Grey slate roof, tall harled stacks, beak skewputts. Original rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: oak panelled hall, decorative plaster ceiling, marble chimneypiece, tripartite arcade to landing. Drawing-room to left (W), entered through ante-room with marble chimneypiece flanked by bowed timber and glass cabinets, drawing-room with Connemara marble chimneypiece set in recess, both rooms with plaster ceiling and divided by walls with miniature balustraded arcade terminating in piers with Scamozzi Ionic capitals. Oak timbered library to N, chimneypiece framed by Ionic pilasters, decorative plaster ceiling. Dining room and (former) Billiard room to S, oak panelled, beamed ceilings. Dog-leg stair off landing to N leading into stair tower. Boarded cladding to room at top of tower. Original fixtures and fittings throughout.

TERRACE GARDEN WITH PAVILIONS AND LOGGIA TO S OF HOUSE: Scott and Campbell, 1905. Enclosed by harled walls with sandstone coping.

Sunken terrace garden with access to N by pair of quarter-turn stairs flanking semi-circular loggia with 2 Scamozzi Ionic columns to centre and Gibbsion pilasters, decorated frieze (badly weathered) and tall parapet, roll-moulded architrave to flanking doorpieces leading to small recesses; gateways to E and W of squared sandsdtone rubble with moulded reveals and keystones; 2-storey pavilions to SE and SW corners, harled with ashlar dressings, quoins and eaves course, harled with ashlar dressings, quoins and eaves course. Pavilion to SE: door to S at ground with dormerheaded windows to N, S, E and dormerheaded door to W at 1st floor. Grey slate ogee roof with ball finial. Mirror image to SW pavilion.

SUNDIAL TO E: obelisk sundial to E of house.

Statement of Special Interest

Grange House stables, cottage and walled garden are listed separately. Fine largely unaltered Edwardian house with arts and crafts interior decoration and art nouveau detailing to fittings. Built for Henry Moubray Cadell whose initials along with his wife's (Elizabeth Simpson) are over the Renaissance windows on the principal (south) elevation.

The house was originally planned with the main reception rooms on the first floor and the principal entrance to the west elevation. The corbelling on the turret to the east side of the house was taken from Old Grange House (demolished 1905). The sunken parterre garden to the south was designed to lead the eye to the outstanding view to Linlithgow loch and the Palace.

References

Bibliography

James Nicoll DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND (1908). C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p226. Original drawings in the care of the present owner.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GRANGE HOUSE WITH CONSERVATORY, TERRACE GARDEN, PAVILIONS, LOGGIA AND SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 19:26