F T Pilkington, 1868. Single storey, 3-bay asymmetric Gothic lodge with canted E end and advanced bay window to SW; later single storey, box extension to W. Coursed local whinstone with cream polished ashlar dressings and quoins. Tooled rybats with margin drafts, mixture of chamfered and splayed reveals; drip sills. Swept base course. Deep timber bracketed eaves and moulded eaves course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly projecting sub-Serlian entrance arcade to central bay: squared outer pilasters with floriate capitals, high plinthed base adjoining outer pilasters to pair of dwarf inner columns with foliate detailed capitals, all supporting shaped lintels; high chamfered stilted arch with floriate stops rising into crowstepped gable with foliate skewed putts, plain inscription panel to centre. Open portico with fitted timber bench seating; timber barrelled inner wall with dog-tooth cornicing and stone flagged floor leading to 2-leaf outer door with leaded glass side lights. To right, single window with further window to canted corner. To left, canted bay window with bipartite light to centre, decorative pellet and spike finial surmounting piended roof of bay; canted corner of original elevation to left rising into bracketed eaves. To extreme left, later recessed single storey, stone-fronted addition with central bipartite window.
W ELEVATION: squared blind end of later 20th century extension concealing original elevation.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.
E ELEVATION: canted corner with window to left, shared with S elevation; to rest of elevation, ornate stepped buttress with central arched gothic window, rising into octagonal stack with chamfered corners to swept base.
Plate glazing in timber sash and case windows. Leaded sidelights flanking entrance door; arched gothic stained glass window to centre of E elevation. Pitched grey slate roof with canted piend end and bay; timber bracketed eaves. Lead ridging, flashing and valleys. Flat-roofed extension. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods with partially concealed gutters. Tall hexagonal ashlar stacks rising from stepped chamfered gable buttresses; hexagonal neck copes with single plain can.
INTERIOR: original timber work including press, cupboards, working shutters, some panelled doors; timber benches to porch. In room to E, gothic window above stone open fireplace. Plain cornicing. Separate laundry to rear has Belfast sink.
Statement of Special Interest
This is the 1868 lodge to Tweedvale House, built for Henry Ballantyne (mill owner) in around 1854. The lodge design was by Pilkington, who had drawn plans for The Kirna (listed separately) for another member of the family. The lodge, one of three in the village, is one of the smaller buildings Pilkinton designed; he is usually remembered for his villas and churches. At the time of its design, Pilkington had gone into partnership with John Bell, the practice then becoming known as Pilkington and Bell. The entrance portico is the most important feature of the lodge with the retention of detail on the columns. The east elevation contains a fine working stack with a window to the centre; the flue flanks the stained glass window. The original west end is now lost to a late 20th century extension.