Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLENMAYNE HOUSE,NEAR GALASHIELSLB12929

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/10/1990
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Galashiels
NGR
NT 49848 33737
Coordinates
349848, 633737

Description

1866, Charles Kinnear of Peddie & Kinnear. Additions by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1913 (library, lodge gates). Large Barional house on landscaped hilltop setting. Randomly asymmetrical composition; roughly square on plan with gable tower and canted bay projections; small courtyard within (now enclosed). Largely 3-storey, partly with attics and 5-storey entrance tower. Courses with polished dressings; stringcourses; triangular-pedimented and finialled dormer-heads; crowstepped gables with fishscale slated roofs at the conical caps of turrets; end and ridge stacks (corniced and coped).

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: large square entrance tower projecting off centre, arched doorway with inscription panel over; projecting arched window with colonettes and semi-circular corbelled balcony above; 2 windows 3rd stage with corbelling of top stage with corbelling of top stage stepped over them; plain top stage with single windows, machicolated parapet, circular stair tower with conical roof at S angle: circular stair outshot links to gable with bipartite windows to left, circular angle turret beyond; on right single bipartite bay with corbelled wallhead and corbelled angle turret, circular at 2nd floor level, corbelled to square at attic. Single-storey range lies on NE/SW axis (to right of front), originally with symmetrical end gables (crowstepped,with pyramid-roofed open belfries) to each front, garden gable subsequently replaced with Lorimer's library addition extending at W gable.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: semi-symmetrical 3-storey arrangement with bartizans corbelled out at upper level;advanced gable with bowed bay, left, progressively corbelled to canted at 2nd floor level and square at attic; canted bay right, progressively corbelled to square at attic; canted bay right, each with mullioned and transomed 4, 2 and single light windows; central section 3 windows ground floor, large 3-light at first, dormer headed windows breaching wallhead (centre pediment larger, with circular panel). First floor balcony corbelled out between projecting bays (on cable corbel mouldings), and circled out on bold corbellings;pierced balustrade. R gable crowstepped; L gable crocketted with elaborate stack rising above.

SW (GARDEN) ELEVATION: segmental-arched openings, ground floor; round-arched first floor openings; square-headed upper storey with pedimented wallhead gables. Bartizans at each angle; wide projecting bay on right, curved at angles, corbelled to square above, step-gabled with centre stack. Mullioned and transomed glazed opening at first floor, recessed in segmental-arch, and incorporating door to balustraded double perron leading to walled garden. Garden steps and ball-finialled walls, 1867.

INTERIOR: rich and finely detailed. Principal state rooms on first floor; ground floor formerly servant's quarters (now converted to flat, 1990).Entrance hall wainscotted, with elaborate vine carved and gilded cornice; main stair with cast-iron balustrade set in carved panelled newels and timber rails; straight-coved ceiling with restored geometric painted decorations. Large transomed 3-light stained-glass stair window. 'Music Room' oak panelled, with mixed Gothic and Renaissance motifs: gothic niche over elaborate early Gerogian oak chimney-piece elliptically arched recess.

DRAWING ROOM: deep-coved ceiling with acanthus, palmetted, egg-and-dart cornice; panelled ceiling; screens with corinthianesque columns separating end bays; fitted bookcases, panelling, chimneypieces and French overmantle mirror. Secondary room with outstanding early Renaissance white and pink-veined marble chimneypiece with classical figurative frieze (cupids, urn centre); wallpaper later 19th century.

Library (addition): Lorimer; top-lit with glass-domed oculus set in square flat-coffered ceiling deep cornice frieze with garland sculptured panels; original bookcases with carved panels incorporating cameos framed by caryatid aedicules.

LODGE 1869-70. L-plan single-storey asymmetrical gate lodge. Snecked rubble, slated roof with projecting eaves, cross-braced.

Front elevation: projecting timber porch integrated with small verandah on right; canted bay, corbelled to square, on left. Tall axial stack (copied; altered). Modern additions to rear. Rusticated gatepiers; scalloped wrought-iron railings on low boundary walls (Lorimer, 1913).

Statement of Special Interest

Built for 'John Murray of Galashiels' (pelt-monger). Close stylistic affinities with Peddie and Kinnear's houses, Crawfordtown (now school), Nithsdale of 1863, and Kinnettles House, Angus, 1865.

References

Bibliography

Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers by Peter Savage, 1980, pp 111, 176.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENMAYNE HOUSE,NEAR GALASHIELS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 07:45