There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Group Category Details
- See Notes
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority
- Scottish Borders
- West Linton
- NT 14960 51618
- 314960, 651618
1781-2 core, recast in 1871 with spire (see Notes). 4-bay, broad-plan, gabled parish church with broached spire and round-arched windows, prominently located within burial ground at S end of West Linton village. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings, including lower part of tower. Modillioned eaves course. Elaborately carved woodwork interior. Walled burial ground with fine collection of memorials, headstones and obelisks, predominantly 18th and 19th centuries.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: gabled vestry to centre (S elevation) flanked by pairs of round-arched windows, the outer-most transomed at mid-height; steeply pitched gable to centre above vestry with cross finial. Rose window to S gable. Transomed and traceried 3-light windows to E and W elevations. 3-stage spire to N: chamfered angles to middle stage with single window to each face; broached spire with double string course, trefoil piercings and cast-iron finial.
Grey slate. Stone skews and skew putts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: intricately carved floral timber ornament (c.1870-1900) to stalls and gallery supported by cast-iron Corinthian columns with carved texts interspersed with floral panels by Jane Fergusson of nearby Spitalhaugh (see separate listing). Decorative timber pulpit and communion table, carved by Harriette Woddrop, wife of the laird of Garvald. Collar-beam roof with steel ties. Font, reassembled from 13th century fragments (see Notes). Good collection of stained glass dating from 1871 and 1892; in the lower N windows, Sacrifice and Peace, 1967-8 by Sadie McLellan.
BURIAL GROUND: important group of 17th, 18th and 19th century memorials, headstones and obelisks, many with well-detailed and well-preserved memento mori. Table tomb of John and Richard Alexander with elaborately carved recumbent effigies. Burial enclosure for Fergusson's of Spitalhaugh to N end; enclosures to NE for Lawson of Cairnmuir and Douglas of Garvald families. Gatepiers to NW dated 1601, one bearing the Lawson family arms. Coped rubble boundary walls including two recessed 'bee-boles'.
Statement of Special Interest
part of a B-Group with 'West Linton, Bogsbank Road, Greenfield (Former St Andrew's Manse)' - see separate listing.
A place of worship in use as such. St Andrew's is a distinguished parish church and local landmark, located at a critical pulse point to the S end of the village. Built in 1782 and recast in 1871 retaining shape of 18th century core, the building was formerly a piend-roofed building with a low tower. The spire was added to the tower, a vestry to the S, and gables to S, E and W elevations in the 19th century. The interior also dates largely to this period and is particularly distinguished by its wealth of carved woodwork detailing carried out by eminent locals, and for its fine stained glass, all adding significantly to its architectural and historic interest.
St Andrew's re-uses stonework from a medieval church on this site although the exact position of the earlier building has not been determined. The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) notes 'it was pulled down and the present one was built in the same year (1782). The old church was very well decorated and had several statues of Saints but were all destroyed when the present church was erected: the heritors of this time ordered them all to be defaced and built into the walls so as not to be seen, but when the new church was completed they had it roughcast so as to cover any portions of the statues that might be visible'. The re-assembled 13th century font comprises fragments found in 1929 and probably originally belonged to the pre-reformation church on the site.
The former manse of St Andrew's (now Greenfield ' see separate listing) slightly pre-dates the first incarnation of the present church. Located in front of St Andrew's on the opposite bank of the Lyne Water, its modillioned eaves course echoes that of the church.
List description updated at resurvey (2010).
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1855-58). 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1897). J W Buchan and H Paton, A History of Peeblesshire, Vol.3 (1927) p100. RCAHMS, Inventory of Peeblesshire Vol II (1967) pp217-1. J Baldwin, Edinburgh, Lothians and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's Heritage (1997) p132. C J Brooke, Safe Sanctuaries: Security and Defence in Anglo-Scottish Border Churches 1290-1690 (2000) p256. West Linton Parish Church, St Andrew's: The Parish Church of West Linton, (2000) Held at RCAHMS, Ref: D.1.23.STA.P. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland ' Borders (2002) p750.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST LINTON, ST ANDREW'S PARISH CHURCH INCLUDING BURIAL GROUND, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 13/11/2018 02:23