Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
West Linton
NT 15002 51814
315002, 651814


Late 19th century single storey and attic cottage at right angles to street with outstanding 17th century carved panels inset to street (E) elevation and tall shouldered stack. Bull-nosed red sandstone ashlar with contrasting yellow dressings and long and short quoins. Central door to S elevation; 2 flanking 4-pane windows, 2 wallhead piended dormers. Piended slate roof. Cubical sundial with ball finial on 4 scrolls to SW wallhead angle.

GIFFORD STONES: 3 unusually elaborate carved figurative panels set in E elevation of cottage, dated 1660 by James Gifford, stonemason, sculptor and portioner of West Linton (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

The interest of Gifford Stones House focuses primarily on the remarkable, elaborately carved 17th century stone inset panels, the work of renowned local stonemason and sculptor, James Gifford who lived in West Linton. The stones originally adorned Gifford's own house, on or near this site which was demolished circa 1860.

The central panel contains armourials and portrait busts of James Gifford and his wife, Euphemia Veitch. The flanking panels include '6 progenitors of James Gifford" and a depiction of Gifford and his wife standing beneath an apple tree on which birds are perched. Rose trees with birds, another favourite device, are also employed. Each panel is fully described in the RCAHMS Inventory pp339-340. The cubical sundial with ball finial on 4 scrolls at the SW angle would also appear to be by Gifford. His intricately carved fireplace for his own house was brought to nearby Spitalhaugh House (see separate listing) in 1860.

The historic core of West Linton is characterised by its broadly unplanned layout, the result of its former status as a burgh of regality. The village has a reputation as a centre for stone masons and sculptors, evidenced by the number of reclaimed carved stone fragments and details, some of late 18th century or early 19th century date, that pepper many of the houses fronting Main Street. The variety of stonework used within relatively close proximity amply demonstrates the range and quality of the building materials, sourced from well-renowned local quarrys such as Deepsykehead, Broomlee, Kaimes and Marlfield.

List description updated at resurvey (2010).



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9), 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1896). Thomas Ross, James Gifford, A Scottish Sculptor Of The Seventeenth Century And Some Of His Works In Tweedale, Proceedings Of The Society of Antiquaries (13 February 1899) pp147-156. RCAHMS, Inventory of Peeblesshire (1967), Vol 1, p46. Vol 2 pp. 339-340. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland - Borders (2002) p752.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WEST LINTON, MAIN STREET, GIFFORD STONES HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/07/2020 06:10