Built 1806-8. Irregular octagon. Rubble-built church with
ashlar margins. 3-stage square tower with faceted spire to
north east, tall arched and rusticated porch leading to
round-headed door with fanlight at base flanked by open Roman
Doric porches; ashlar; 2nd stage on panelled plinth,
pilasters at angles and louvered belfry opening in
architraves with consoled pediment to each face. 3rd stage:
clock to each face in panel and faceted spire on low
octagonal stage above. Rectangular windows behind flanking
porches; remaining ground floor windows segmental-headed,
square headed windows above. 12 and 16-pane sashes. Eaves
band, cornice and blocking course. Piended and platform slate
Low session house to rear links to single storey 5-bay
buttressed Gothic hall added 1901: John MacLelland of
Kilbirnie, architect: bullfaced snecked ashlar with polished
dressings, Porch with pointed-headed door on north west gable: pointed-arched windows on north east wall. Moulded skews with
gableted skewputts and cross-finialed gables and slate roof.
Church interior: panelled gallery supported on wooden Roman
Doric columns; organ by Foster & Andrews installed 1885, with
tubes behind pulpit: pulpit flanked by stained glass windows
at ground and at gallery level, former, resurrection (circa
1928) and Good Samaritan themes (circa 1913), latter, the
sower (circa 1883) and the reaper (circa 1888). South east
gable window (circa 1915) of hall acquired 1947 from
demolished former West church: Good Shepherd theme.
Church bell by John Wilson & Co., Glasgow: cast 1810; re-cast
1849 and 1903.
Statement of Special Interest
John Logan & James Connelly masons, & Robert Campbell & David
Gilmour, Wrights, provided the plans for the church: however
according to Cairn Ms, church actually built by one 'Andro
from Kilbarchan' mason.
Opened officially 2 October 1808, although some reference
gives 1806 as date of building.