Originally 1902-3, Charles E Whitelaw, for Sir David Young Cameron, as medium sized mansion of Lorimerian derivation, extensively remodelled by additions and alterations in Scottish Renaissance and Arts and Crafts manner by A N Paterson and Sir D Y Cameron, 1911, 1913 and 1923-4.
Original house asymmetrical, 2-storey with dormerheads, in plain harled and gabled 17th century Scots style as first designed, with 7 asymmetrical bays to N and S, multi-paned sash and case windows, gabled or swept dormer-headed windows and steep pitched slated piend roof at central section. Additions comprise SW drum angle and entrance loggia, 1911; 2-storey NW addition, with drawing room at ground, 1923-4 (dated); studio addition to NE added probably 1920s (date uncertain); extension of S elevation at E with 2-storey gabled bay, presumably also by Paterson (date not known).
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: rambling composition of 8 asymmetrical bays, 1903-4 elevations plain, harled with dormer heads and off-centre gable. 1911 (dated) addition at SW corner by A N Paterson comprising 2-storey angle rotunda and arcaded entrance loggia: rotunda has single light windows and telescopes into arcaded drum with slated ogee cupola roof, leaded thistle finial at apex, windows tall with modern glazing at ground and original 15-pane sash and case windows at 1st.
ENTRANCE LOGGIA: single storey, 2-bay entrance to right of drum overlaying Whitelaws elevation, of cream polished ashlar, with circular piers and semi-circular arches, roll-moulded hoodmoulds with scroll label stop and asymmetrical treatment; right hand arch embellished with tripartite keyblock curving around intrados, attached half pilasters corbelled from piers frame spandrels; shallow mutuled cornice above. Scottish Renaissance style heraldic inscription panel in parapet, moulded coping carried across rotunda to left as 1st floor string course; loggia clasped on right by curved bastion-like entrance bay with door in re-entrant andgle, and continuous cornice and parapet. Salvaged medieval figurative sculpture mounted on corbel stone within loggia. Decorative brass Art Nouveau bell push. Asymmetrical dormer-headed windows set back above, 1903, partly remodelled later. Loggia linked to 2-storey gabled central projection of 1903 house, 2 narrow 12-pane and single 18-pane (latter with decorative wrought-iron half grille with 'DYC' initials) windows at ground, single bipartite above; 2 bays to right 1903, with later semicircular bay window at ground with leaded roof to left, pair dormerheaded windows above originally, 1903-4, remodelled by Paterson later; further bay with corbelled 1st floor and 2-storey gabled projection added by Paterson later, date uncertain, at E in free Arts and Crafts Scots style, corbelled to square at 1st floor, rounded angles; polished ashlar architrave and apron panel around 1st floor window, ashlar skews and skewputts, decorative masonry finial, decorative rainwater head to rhone pipe and similar decorative finial to vent in slope of roof. SE angle dramatically curved, slightly jettied at 1st floor, 1st floor window at SE angle with ashlar cill and keystone, cill with incised scroll detail, coped wallhead.
W ELEVATION: drum rotunda addition to right linked abrubtly to original gable with elaborate corbelling at 1st floor level, skews with roll skewputts; apex stack. 2-storey angle tower (1903-4) to left of gable, now off-centre as a result of Paterson addition of 1923-4, 1st floor slightly jettied, tall ground floor windows with modern glazing pattern, 1st floor windows with original 12-pane sash and case glazing, conical slated roof and decorative finial; Paterson elevation plain with modern gloazing at single ground floor window.
N ELEVATION: 3-window gable front of 1923-4. Ground floor windows with modern glazing, 3 12-pane sash and case windows at 1st, centre windows contained within giant recessed arched panel, inscription panel mounted below 1st floor cill in manner of marriage lintel with owner's initials; 2 bays of original house at centre with gablet dormers, STUDIO at left; single storey and basement; harled over red sandstone basecourse; steep pitched slated roof and coped Dutch gables. Large 3-light mullioned and double transomed window canted out on shallow projection; leaded glass. Ingleneuk at NW re-entrant angle. Single storey pitched roofed entrance bay to left with roundel window. Gateway attached at E elevation, with decorative wrought-iron gate. Small harled and slated roofed outbuilding to E with gabled W elevation, apsidal W end.
INTERIOR: entrance hall; Renaissance and medieval stained glass panels mounted in leaded glass windows behind loggia arcade; Art Nouveau oak staircase; bolection moulded sandstone chimneypiece.
LIBRARY: (NW, originally drawing room): decorative Crafts style plaster ceiling at drum tower addition with naturalistic botanic and bird motif.
DRAWING ROOM: (N, 1923-4 addition) decorative rowanberry cornice, original semicircular tables with tall pier glasses between windows (other furniture removed to National Gallery of Scotland).
STUDIO: open timber arch braced roof resting on plain masonry corbels, rococo style chimneypiece, 5-panelled door with egg and dart mouldings at E leading to stair to basement (originally accommodating Sir D Y Cameron's printing press); one pane of leaded glass window etched with signatures of friends and relatives of D Y Cameron.
1ST FLOOR: Art Nouveau arcaded oak screen in front of servant's stair to E; bedrooms with simple lugged chimneypieces, some with cavetto moulded friezes; decorative door knockers to bedrooms by D Y Cameron.
GARDEN: red sandstone rock-faced rubble walls to designed garden N and S of house; terrace garden to N, circular pond with bronze putti sculpture; sculptural fragments of various dates collected by Sir D Y Cameron incorporated throughout, including kneeling bronze putti on column in front of S entrance; decorative wrought-iron gates and railings probably designed by Sir D Y Cameron, executed by Andrew Rennie a local blacksmith, of individual designs. Wide yew hedge planted to W and some topiary.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.