There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- Planning Authority
- Perth And Kinross
- NN 42249 57878
- 242249, 757878
Attributed to James Miller, 1893-4. Single storey, rectangular-plan, near-symmetrical island station building with deep swept roof carried over canopy on either side. Painted base course; brick plinth; timber-framed with scalloped shingle wall covering. Panelled angle pilasters. Glazed screens to outer left and right. Timber panelled doors with 3 light fanlights; bipartite and canted windows. Swept eaves extend on carved consoles to form canopy.
Timber framed windows, astragalled to upper section. 3 brick ridge stacks. Felt roof (originally cedar shingles).
INTERIOR: remodelled for use as Rannoch Moor Visitors Centre, opened 2005.
SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NN 42256, 57908) on platform to NE of station building: square-plan, North British Railway Company, Type 6a signal box. Painted ashlar plinth, brick base with dentils below cills; glazed timber framed upper panels with fixed 9-pane glazing. 6-pane glazed panel to door. Piended roof, lead flashings; projecting eaves, exposed rafters. 17 lever locking frame. Building preserved as part of the Rannoch Moor Visitor Centre.
SCULPTED PORTRAIT: to N end of platform. Stone sculptured relief portrait of J H Renton.
Statement of Special Interest
Rannoch Station is one of a series of island platform stations designed specifically for the West Highland Railway (sponsored by the North British Railway Company) in the 1890s. They are built in a 'Swiss Chalet' style with a piended bell-cast roof extending to form a canopy over each elevation and attributed to the renowned Glasgow architect, James Miller.
The West Highland Railway, which runs between Craigendoran and Fort William, was opened in 1894. Rannoch station, like Garelochhead and Bridge of Orchy, is of the island platform type introduced by Charles De Neuville Forman, the engineer of the West Highland Railway. The Swiss-style architecture and island platform were deliberately chosen to fit with the scenic route covered by the railway and are understood to have been the work of James Miller, although Robert Wemyss may have contributed to the designs while working with J J Burnet. The scalloped shingles are believed to have been imported from Switzerland.
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The signal box at Rannoch is an important part of example of the characteristic Type 6a boxes by the North British Railway Company, modified specifically for use on the platforms of West Highland Railway stations. Its shallow, piended roof and overhanging eaves are in keeping with the Swiss-chalet style of the main station building. The associated group value with the station, and with the engineering and scenic interest of the West Highland Line more broadly, add to its value. Other examples on the line include Garelochhead, Tyndrum Upper and Bridge of Orchy (see separate listings). The box was restored as part of the Rannoch Visitors Centre in 2005.
To the north end of the platform is a sculptured relief of the head of Mr J H Renton, a director of the West Highland who saved the line from bankruptcy when financial crisis hit in summer 1893. It was cut by the railway workers.
The Rannoch Moor Visitors Centre which opened in 2005 occupies the station buildings and a standard Highland Railway lattice girder foot bridge has also been added more recently to the site.
Statutory address and list description revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2013). Previously listed as 'Rannoch Station Including Portrait Plaque Of J H Renton'.
G Dow, The Story Of The West Highland (1947). The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). John McGregor One Hundred Years Of The West Highland Railway (1994). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition). RIBA, James Miller - Obituary.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RANNOCH STATION INCLUDING SIGNAL BOX AND SCULPTURED PORTRAIT OF JAMES RENTON
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 25/03/2019 01:20