Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TAYMOUTH CASTLELB12093

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Kenmore
NGR
NN 78440 46523
Coordinates
278440, 746523

Description

Gothic, mainly chlorite-slate ashlar. Main block 4-storey with circular angle towers of 5-storeys, central staircase and lantern: 2-storey east wing; west wing partly stuccoed brickwork 2-storey, S. part 3-storey ashlar. Battlemented throughout.

Building history:- Main block of old Ballock Castle demolished. 1799 leaving flanking 2-storey wings of c. 1733 by Wm. Adam standing.

1806 main block begun James and Archibald Elliot archts, cloisters and main building completed 1808.

Staircase wholly designed and executed by Francis Bernasconi who also did the plasterwork of drawing rooms 1809-12: painted by Cornelius Dixon 1813. East wing pulled down and new east wing built 1818-19 and further extended by 1823, Wm. Atkinson, architect. 2-storey additions of stuccoed brickwork and crenellated parapet to west wing, 1825, also by Atkinson. Alterations to west wing, Queen's Rooms, Library, probably Library corridor, cast-iron external staircase and great dining hall and further storey, new battlements, ashlar casing added to Adam wing, J. Gillespie Graham archt. 1838-42 with interior work by A.W.N. Pugin. Drawing room and other ceilings by J.G. Grace from Pugin designs, finest of their period in UK.

Statement of Special Interest

Ground floor perhaps Paterson's work at least in part as the walls were built with a considerable batter and obviously not intended to have the present cloisters applied against them. Prior to Paterson, Robert Mylne had prepared plans for a new 'chateau' in 1789 but nothing was done though he did design and build a bridge 'for new road' the following year. Exceptionally spectacular and complete group of large country house and ancillaries.

References

Bibliography

Neale, Seats.

N.S.A. v. X p.468-9.

Gillies (ills)

A.H. Millar CASTLES AND MANSIONS.

Breadalbane Correspondence per A.J. Rowan, Esq. (Gillies contains the best published description.) The Breadalbane correspondence shows that several of the published descriptions of the castle are inaccurate: the work of 1838 is frequently ascribed to Bryce (1842).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TAYMOUTH CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:48