Composite building whose dates range from 16-19th centuries.
Scottish Jacobean. Originally a 16th century tower house,
altered at different periods. Now roughly 'T'-plan. A
reset lintel dated 1617 suggests some building then; the
substantial south wing is dated 1668 on the pedimented
dormer heads; 18th century east wing; 1893 north wing and
re-fronting of east range by Thomas Leadbetter. 3 and 4
storeys. Rubble built, with ashlar dressings throughout.
Principal doorway in square tower in south re-entrant
angle with decorative pilastered doorcase and Blair arms
above, supported by elaborate scrolls; small turret,
also with doorway, to right. East wing is on 2 levels,
that nearer central tower raised by Leadbetter, and
corbelled 2-storey crow-stepped gabled projection added
to right. Leadbetter's west is in similar style to the
17th century south wing, but with corbel tables included
below gables. Crow-stepped gables, corniced end, ridge
and wallhead stacks and slate roof throughout. Good turnpike
stair and some late 18th/early 19th century interiors
in south wing. Further interior work by Leadbetter.