Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Rossie Church (Old Rossie Chapel), excluding scheduled monument SM1658, Rossie Priory, InchtureLB11786

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Last Date Amended
30/01/2018
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Inchture
NGR
NO 29161 30807
Coordinates
329161, 730807

Description

A medieval parish church, abandoned in 1670. The church was rebuilt as a memorial chapel c.1870 by T.S. Robertson, architect. It is rectangular, rubble-built with a bellcote and south porch. The north door is the only remaining mediaeval feature.

There are a number of monuments within the church: - G.H. St. V. de R. Kinnaird + 1838 tomb chest with doric columns and urn (replica of that at Malta); Victor Alexander Kinnaird, recumbent marble, Thomas Campbell 1854; Olivia Barbara Kinnaird, recumbent marble, Wm. Brodie 1871; Douglas Arthur Kinnaird + 1914, wall tablet and bust, G. Web Gilbert. There are several other marble monuments and busts of late 19th century date, unsigned, all by William Brodie.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM1658 (see separate designation record).

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM1658 (Rossie Priory Stone, cross slab: see separate designation record).

Statutory Address revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'ROSSIE CHURCH WITHIN ROSSIE PRIORY POLICIES'.

References

Bibliography

Curle, C L (1939) The Chronology of the Early Christian monuments of Scotland. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Vol. 74 p.89

Melville L (1939) The fair land of Gowrie. Coupar Angus p.98-9.

NSA. (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v. Edinburgh. Page(s): vol. 10 (Perth), p. 831.

OSA. (1791-9) The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir. Edinburgh. Page(s): vol. 4, p. 191.

Stuart J (1867) Sculptured stones of Scotland v2, vol.2. Edinburgh. Vol. 2 p.53-54.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Rossie Church (Old Rossie Chapel), excluding scheduled monument SM1658, Rossie Priory, Inchture

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/08/2022 13:18