Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
NS 38792 78916
238792, 678916


Probably John T Rochead, 1845. Cruciform-plan gothic church, miniature Early English with late gothic central entrance tower. Ashlar fronted; squared and snecked rear and side elevation; ashlar, margins and dressings. Lancets; eaves course; base course; angle buttresses; squat pyramidal pinnacles.

E ELEVATION: ashlar symmetrical front; 4-stage entrance tower at centre rising into crocketted spire in Scott monument telescopic style; flanking buttressed bays; recessed flanking transepts. Pointed arch door with moulded surround, narrow lancet at 2nd stage; gabletted lancets at 3rd stage with pinnacled flying buttresses; small lancets at 4th stage; narrow finialled angle pilasters, running through upper

2 stages. Crocketted spire with gablet detailing, lead weathervane. Flanking buttressed bays, lancets, angle buttresses, pyramidal finials. Transepts to left and right, blocked lancets.

N ELEVATION: gabled transept, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar margins and dressings. Blocked stepped 3-light lancet window, angle buttresses; ringhead cross finial with trefoil cusped arms; date stone 1845 in gablehead plaque.

W ELEVATION: lower gabled chancel; blocked stepped 3-light lancet window, door at ground below centre lancet; 3 lancets to right and left returns; tall lancet at right and left transept.

S ELEVATION: gabled transept; 3-light window, plaque in gablehead, 1845 datestone; lancet on right and left returns. Ringhead cross finial with trefoil arms.

Pointed-arch lancet windows, now all blocked, rendered and lined; grey slate roof; ashlar coping to skews and skewputts.

INTERIOR: not seen 1994; gutted.

GRAVEYARD: range of fine mid to later 19th century grave monuments including obelisk monument to John Hathieson, died 1874; Ruskinian Gothic monument to William Murray, died 1872, exotic lotus leaf finial.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: rubble boundary wall with semicircular coping surrounding graveyard to N, W and E. Low wall with cast-iron railings; cusped heads to E.

Statement of Special Interest

The building is no longer in ecclesiastical use. It was built as the Free Church. It is now in a poor state of repair with the interior gutted, dampness and stone damage. Rochead designed the St John's Free Church, 205 George Street, Glasgow 1845 which boasts a similar spire of tiered pinnacles and its seems probable that he designed this sibling Free Church at the same time. Millburn Church had previously been attributed tentatively to George Meikle Kemp, an architect familiar with such Gothic work (see the Scott Monument) who had been working reputedly at Millburn Tower. However, this attribution now seems unlikely in view of the Rochead parallel.



F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RENTON, MAIN STREET, MILLBURN CHURCH, FORMER FREE CHURCH WITH BOUNDARY WALL, GRAVESTONES, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2021 08:29