Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

COLGRAIN, CAMIS ESKANLB1169

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/05/1979
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Cardross
NGR
NS 32085 81474
Coordinates
232085, 681474

Description

1648 datestone at rear, remodelled 1840 by David Hamilton; substantially remodelled 1915 A N Paterson. 2-storey and attic and 3-storey rectangular-plan house. 1915 ashlar ground floor with painted harl, sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Broad eaves band. Architraved windows (cill excepted) to Paterson remodelling.

W (MAIN) ELEVATION: A N Paterson remodelling 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical block with 3-storey, 3-bay David Hamilton block to outer left. Shallow canted entrance block at centre; balustraded parapet; faceted roof; tall windows at 1st floor, strapwork quoins; centre window casement window in French window manner. Bowed ashlar portico advanced at centre; mutuled entablature on 4 Roman Doric columns; narrow window infilling between outer column and inner pilaster; 4-panelled door with moulded surround. Flanking symmetrical bays; shallow canted ground floor, Gibbsian surround to the windows; low cast-iron parapets and flanking stone urns. 3 windows in Venetian arrangement above. Wooden gabled dormers symmetrically disposed with modern plate glass windows. Taller 3-storey symmetrical block to outer left, harled with ashlar architraves; cill band course to 2nd floor; eaves cornice stepped over upper floor windows; corniced 1st floor windows.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: 7-bay, 2-storey block, 3-bay, 3-storey block to right. 6 bays with 7th blank bay to outer left, lintel band course at 1st floor. Shaped gable to 2-bays at centre, 2 windows flanking bull?s-eye window at attic level; 2 windows at 1st floor level with bull?s-eye window to outer left; 2 windows at ground, that to right formerly door with marriage lintel inscribed "God will provide 16 ID IS 46". 3 bays to right, window enlarged at 1st floor, inner window with modern corbelled balcony; modern lean-to porch at centre ground. Blank bay outer left, formerly window at ground and 1st floor, now blocked. Modern gabled timber dormers symmetrically disposed to outer right and left. David Hamilton block advanced to outer right, ashlar blocking course; door at ground to left. Lower former service block to outer right; windows variously disposed; piend-roofed dormers.

S ELEVATION: 5 bays symmetrically disposed; harled, ashlar margins. Modern door at centre ground; elongated Palladian stair window; pair of flanking symmetrical bays, pediment in blocking course at centre of bays below wallhead stack

N ELEVATION: 5 bays arranged 1-3-1. Eaves cornice stepped over upper windows, corniced 1st floor windows; architraved door to right of centre bays.

6-pane over 9-pane sash and case windows; 8-pane sash and case windows; 2-pane over 4-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roofs, lead flashings. Broad ashlar coped ridge stacks, tall rendered stacks on Paterson block; Hamilton block with grouped octagonal corniced stacks.

COACH HOUSE: former coach house and service block to N. Single storey, former U-plan court opening to E. Stuccoed on W elevation with ashlar margins; rendered at rear with ashlar margins; modern windows. W elevation with triangular pedimented former archway at centre, flanked by blind windows, piend-roofed dormerheads to outer left and right. U-plan to E with piend-roofed dormerheads, modern windows. Octagonal coped wallhead stacks on Hamilton block; tall rendered wallhead stacks on side elevation.

INTERIOR: house now subdivided into apartments. Decorative scheme of 1840 and 1915 surviving. Main hall with wooden wainscot panelling; ashlar chimneypieces, Tudor-arched with trefoil motif; ashlar arch; stonework stugged at rear of hall all 1915. Delicate plasterwork in upper rooms to S; stair with delicately carved barleysugar balusters.

Statement of Special Interest

Camis Eskan was built by John Dennistoun in 1648 and the house and lands remained in the family until 1836 when ownership was transferred to Colin Campbell of Breadlabane. The lodges, dovecot and walled garden are listed separately.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) pp64-65.

David Murray OLD CARDROSS (1880), p66. J Irving BOOK OF DUMBARTONSHIRE vol III (1879).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COLGRAIN, CAMIS ESKAN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:37