Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

COLGRAIN, KEPPOCH HOUSE WITH WALLED GARDENS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB1166

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 14/05/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
  • Parish: Cardross

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NS 32971 79775
  • Coordinates: 232971, 679775

Description

Circa 1815. 3-storey over raised basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan Classical house. Stucco. Broad pilaster quoin; blocking course; eaves band; string course; raised cills.

SW (MAIN) ELEVATION: 3-bay symmetrical block; centre pedimented block slightly advanced; columned porch, paired columns; partially enclosed by cast-iron railings at sides. Later 19th century insertion of bowed etched glass entrance screen. Tripartite windows at centre 1st and 2nd floor. Flanking symmetrical bays; windows at ground in arched recesses. Basement slightly advanced; stugged stone, now painted; segmental-arched windows, barred.

NW ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay main block to outer right with lower 2-bay block to left. Later canted window to outer left bridging basement, battered support; gabled dormer at centre.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical 2-bay block to outer left, lower 2-bay block to right, canted window bridging basement on ashlar support.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, near-symmetrical block advanced at centre; round-headed stair window at centre 1st floor, flanked by 12-pane sash and case windows; attic window below eaves to left, window to outer left and right. Recessed outer bays, gabled dormer breaking eaves.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piend roof with lead flashings; rear block piend and platform roof. Broad corniced ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995

WALLED GARDENS: Early 19th century with some earlier 20th century additions. D-plan to SE of house. Main entrance in NW wall; droved margin, 1816 datestone. Wall higher to NW, large lean-to greenhouse against S-facing wall. Early 19th century sundial. Some earlier 20th century alterations to garden.

VEGETABLE GARDEN: earlier 19th century walled garden to N behind main garden with earlier 20th century alterations. Rubble wall with slab coping, buttresses against rear wall. Earlier 20th century rubble gateway, stepped wallhead, voussoirs exposed; inscribed "pax int antiuos"; cast-iron gate. Some ruinous greenhouses; lean-to and free-standing. Earlier 20th century pedestrian gate treated similar to main gate.

GATES, GATEPIERS AND QUADRANT WALLS: ashlar panelled gatepiers, corniced, block caps; flanking pedestrian gates. Low quadrant walls with slab coping; terminal piers.

Statement of Special Interest

The house was built for Alexander Dunlop in 1820, although an earlier house had existed on the site. The walled garden may relate to this earlier house. The dining room of Keppoch House is lined with the later 18th century timber panelling from St Anne's Church, Belfast. This was installed by Montagu MW Baird, a subsequent owner, in commemoration of his parents, Hugh Baird and Margaret Ferguson, who were married at St Anne?s in 1836.

References

Bibliography

F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p64. Arthur F Jones THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985), p80.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 31/08/2016 17:01