John Paterson, 1811; tower extended Johnston and Baxter, 1899. 2-storey, circular-plan, classical stable and centre courtyard with 3-stage tower. Droved and stugged ashlar, squared and snecked rubble, ashlar dressings. Base and 1st floor cill courses, eaves cornice and blocking course. Segmental cart arches. Some architraved openings. Voussoirs.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced 3-bay straight centre with broad cart arch (giving access to open inner courtyard) and window to 1st floor below pediment with relief carved crest in tympanum, tower (see below) projecting behind; regular fenestration to flanking bays. Further openings to each floor of bowed bays to right, including door with deep bipartite fanlight and 2 horizontal openings high up at 1st floor. Similarly fenestrated bowed bays to left.
NE ELEVATION: 3 straight bays as above but with centre door and blind pediment.
SW ELEVATION: 3 straight bays with centre pediment and variety of openings.
SE ELEVATION: mirrors centre bays of NW elevation but with blind pediment, ancillaries adjoining to left and small flat-roofed extension in re-entrant to right adjoining bowed bays.
TOWER: square 1st stage with round-headed niche to each elevation, that to SE with glazed cross. Band course giving way to octagonal 2nd stage with alternating stone clock faces below bracketted cornice and round-headed openings (blocked?) with timber and glass surmounted by louvers. 2nd stage cornice giving way to later 3rd stage (also octagonal) with blind arcade, cornice and stone balustrade.
INNER COURTYARD: concentric circles of stone setts, all faces bowed. 3 cart-arches to SE elevation and mirrored to NW but obscured by later (possibly early 20th century) timber and glass ancillary extending across NW elevation. Variety of unaltered doors with glazed fanlights and window openings to ground, regular band of small square openings to 1st floor and tiny triangular roof ventilators.
8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, lying-pane to 1st floor; 6-pane top-hopper glazing to courtyard elevations. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings.
Statement of Special Interest
In 1795 John Lee Allen succeeded to the lands of Errol Park. His eldest son, also John, married Lady Henrietta Duncan, daughter of the Earl of Camperdown, and it was likely one of these gentlemen who commissioned this fine building. Sir William Ogilvy Dalgleish of Errol Park provided funds amounting to ?9000 to provide the village of Errol with a water supply for which the cistern is situated in the later third stage of the tower. Other examples of circular stables can be found at Prestonfield, Edinburgh and Gordonstoun, Elgin; and semicircular stables at Inveraray. Errol Park Policies include Boundary Walls, East Lodge, East Lodge Gates, Folly, Gardener's Cottage, House, South Lodge, Steading, Walled Garden, West Gate and West Lodge all listed separately.