Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLAMIS VILLAGE, KIRKWYND, PARISH KIRK, STRATHMORE AISLELB11556

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Glamis
NGR
NO 38644 46855
Coordinates
338644, 746855

Description

15th century, altered 17th century and later. Small, rectangular-plan burial vault, probably transept of former church. Red sandstone ashlar with dressed margins and quoins, flat-roofed ashlar bay to E. Part raised and battered base course; base and stepped blocking courses to crenellated flat-roofed bay. Segmental- and Tudor-arched openings; embrasured, traceried S window, roll-moulded and chamfered doorway. Voussoirs and stone mullions.

S ELEVATION: single gabled bay to left with broad doorway, 2-leaf timber door with escutcheon inscribed ?1742? ?ES?; 3-light traceried window over and sundial dated 1771 on carved corbel in gablehead finialled with stone lion and shield on square plinth. Crenellated bay to right with blinded Tudor-arched window and flanking pilasters.

W ELEVATION: canopied black marble mural tablet with Corinthian columns, carved spandrels, decorative cornice to right of centre, pedimented stone beyond to right and plain round-headed red marble tablet to outer right. 1793 church adjoining at NW angle.

N ELEVATION: small advanced piended link to right, with segmental-headed window on return to left; gablehead finial of griffon with shield displaying lion rampant.

E ELEVATION: advanced flat-roofed bay to left with 4-light Tudor-arched window and flanking pilastered angles each with blank (eroded?) shield.

Grey slate. Ashlar-coped skews and flat skewputts.

INTERIOR: sacrament house with ogee-arched aumbry flanked by shields, that to left with lion of Glamis, that to right with lion of Glamis and Ogilvy impaled. Stone groin-vaulted roof with bosses, corbels and keystones carved with coronets, lions of Glamis, lions of Glamis and Ogilvy, grapes in bold relief. Altar-shaped tomb to "Patrick Lyon, the first Lord Glamis, who died in 1459, and of Isabella Ogilvy, his wife, daughter of Ogilvy of Auchterhouse, who was interred beside her husband in 1484". Short octagonal pillar with decorative capital. Stone stair leads down to burial vault of Lyon family beneath stone pavement.

Statement of Special Interest

Property of Strathmore Estates (Holding) Ltd. The Strathmore Aisle was probably part of a cruciform-plan pre-reformation church demolished in 1792. 17th century alterations were made by Patrick 1st Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorn who refers, in his diary of 1684-9, to church renovations when he "made a loft for my owne (sic) use and built a little addition to my burial place, both which contribute externelie (sic) to the adornment of the church". Stirton refers to the "projecting ridge, or plinth of dressed stone along the wall, and some feet from the ground, ..... a device common in the medieval times to prevent water gathering at the foot of the wall"(p7).

References

Bibliography

Rev John Stirton CHANTRY CHAPEL AT GLAMIS (1935). Hay POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957), p245.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLAMIS VILLAGE, KIRKWYND, PARISH KIRK, STRATHMORE AISLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 11:03