Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 38629 46865
338629, 746865


Dated 1792, much altered, chancel added 1933. Plain, rectangular-plan aisleless church with classical bell-tower spire. Squared and snecked rubble with dressed ashlar quoins. Round-headed openings; deeply-chamfered hoodmoulded doorway; Y-tracery; stone mullions.

W (TOWER) ELEVATION: 4-stage entrance tower projecting to centre of otherwise blank gabled elevation. Tall 1st stage with hoodmoulded, round-headed doorway, deep-set studded boarded timber door, round-headed window and carved stone with mutuled cornice above. Slightly reduced 2nd stage with clock to each face giving way to further reduced octagonal 3rd stage (bell chamber) with round-headed arcading (alternately blind and louvered) below octagonal spire with fish weathervane.

E ELEVATION: 3-light traceried window to chancel projecting at centre, and flanking round-headed lights on canted returns.

S ELEVATION: 3 large traceried windows, that to centre blocked with small pitch-roofed porch projecting at ground, blocked tracery visible above; outer bays with square-headed windows to each floor and further similar window beyond to left at ground.

N ELEVATION: 2 large traceried windows flanking blank centre bay, small square-headed window to ground left, and similar window to outer bays at gallery.

Multi-pane, leaded and margined windows, stained glass (see below) to E windows of N and S elevations. Grey slates. Stepped ashlar skews with square skewputts.

INTERIOR: refurbished 1933 galleried. Fixed timber pews with carved ends and finely carved gallery; parquet floor; panelled ceiling; boarded timber dadoes. Wide chancel arch to raised chancel with fixed elders chairs and fretwork organ screen. Marble memorial tablets to W wall.

Stained glass to N by Gordon Webster, 1969, dedicated to Matthew Babington B D; that to S with left light memorial window to "John and Anne Milne of Holemill, Glamis", and that to right "erected by their daughters Elisabeth, Helen, Johanna and Charlotte".

SESSION HOUSE: Circa 1840 and later. Small single storey, piend-roofed, slated, rubble session house with dressed ashlar quoins and 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case window.

N(ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door with 4-pane fanlight to left of centre, window to right and further timber door to outer right under catslide roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was re-dedicated to St Fergus on 6th May, 1934. The Strathmore Aisle, graveyard and boundary walls are listed separately.



NSA (1836), p348. Hay POST REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957), p82. Rev John Stirton CHANTRY CHAPEL AT GLAMIS (1935).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLAMIS VILLAGE, KIRKWYND, PARISH KIRK OF ST FERGUS (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH SESSION HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:40