Maam House is a major example of a classically proportioned Georgian house with advanced central bay, bracketed eaves and flat-deck piended roof occupying a fine rural setting adjacent to the Inveraray Great Farm steading (see separate listing) at Maam in Glen Shira.
The house was built for General Charles Turner who was Govenor of Sierra Leone until his death in 1826. The layout of rooms is distinctive with the main hall and principal rooms at first floor level with views to the steading and farmland beyond. The ground floor rooms were remodelled during the 1970s at which time the south facing windows were enlarged. The earlier openings were considerably smaller suggesting that the ground floor rooms originally served different purposes, possibly connected to farm use. The small detached rubble-built outbuilding to the N corner is contemporary with the building of the house. Evidence from the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1862) suggests it was formerly linked to the house, possibly by way of a passage or further outbuilding.
The remarkable half-circle Gothick Steading at Maam (see separate listing) was designed by master mason to the Crown of Scotland, Robert Mylne. It was a centrepiece of the 5th Duke of Argyll's programme of late 18th century agricultural improvements in Inveraray. Standing 80m to the S of Maam House, the two buildings group together contextually, adding to the interest.
Listed in 1980 as "Maam Farmhouse". Change of statutory address and list description revised, 2012.
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAAM HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING
There are no images available for this record.