Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
NS 38829 80135
238829, 680135


John Archibald Campbell, dated 1888. Single storey and 2-storey over raised basement; L-plan block of keep and hall with link wall and courtyard. Scots Baronial main block; Arts and Crafts rear wings. Bull-faced pink sandstone, red sandstone ashlar margins and dressings. Corbelled balustrade.

S (GILMOUR ST) ELEVATION KEEP: 2-storey, 2-bay, square-plan keep to right. Steps and platt to main door, decorative cast-iron railings, tall cast-iron lamp standards. Scroll pedimented door surround with raised segmental-headed armorial plaque, boarded and studded door, inscribed frieze. Tripartite window to right, relieving arch above, tripartite window at basement. 2 windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor, large terracotta plaque at centre, balustrade, bartizans. Advanced chimney breast to outer right at right return, large transomed and mullioned stair window; terracotta plaque at left; corbelled 3-stage, round tower at left return. 3-bay symmetrical range to left, open segmental-headed dormerheads. Gable, balustraded canted bay, window; aediculed window, segmental pediment, dated 1888; broad stack at apex with blind niche at centre.

W (SMOLLETT ST) ELEVATION: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Blind tripartite basement windows; 3 segmental-headed window at principal floor; 3, large pedimented, transomed and mullioned windows at upper stage, thistle finial.

Leaded multipaned windows; 20-pane over 2-pane sash and case windows. ashlar coping to skews; green slates; replacement concrete tiles. Coped niched apex stacks.

INTERIOR: entrance hall, corridor and large hall have painted panels by Harrington Mann, depicting women?s work and episodes from 18th century songs. Large hall with hammerbeam ceiling, passage gallery; 2 ashlar 16th century-style chimneypieces, one almost full-height, smaller with painted panel.

Statement of Special Interest

The building was built as the Ewing Gilmour Institute for Working Girls. The painted hall is by Harrington Mann, one of the Glasgow Boys. It is now a Masonic temple.



C Willsden, "Pictures on the Wall" in the THE SCOTS MAGAZINE, February 1993.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALEXANDRIA, GILMOUR STREET, MASONIC TEMPLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2022 16:02