Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PRESTON HALL POLICIES, STABLES INCLUDING KENNELS, PIGGERY, PHEASANTRY AND COTTAGESLB113

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Cranston
NGR
NT 39628 65930
Coordinates
339628, 665930

Description

Robert Mitchell, 1795. 2-storey, 9-bay quadrangular-plan neo-classical stable and office block. Central pedimented entrance pend with regular links to 2?-storey pedimented pavilions. Ashlar front with projecting base, band and eaves course; cornice. Coursed and random sandstone rubble to courtyard and lesser elevations. Low ashlar parapet concealing main roofline.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central arched entrance pend with pair of wrought-iron swept top gates with arrowhead dogbars and doorways to adjacent blocks leading from its interior, exterior elevation flanked by advanced paired Tuscan columns standing on squared bases supporting architraved triangular pediment with plain tympanum; 2-storey, 3-bay linking blocks flanking central arch, eaves course and low parapet to roofline. 2?-storey pavilions to outer left and right: high arched recess containing pilastered tripartite window to ground floor (outer lights blind), semi-circular window above; cornice mirroring parapet of main building with ?-storey above containing rectangular louvred opening, eaves course.

N ELEVATION: slightly projecting pavilion to right with small bipartite window to ground floor and ventilation louvre to attic; ground floor window adjacent left in main block; to far left, door with window aligned to 1st floor, further window to right.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central pavilion with segmental-arched access pend and 2-leaf timber gates; former hayloft and dovecote above. To left, main block with bipartite and single window to 1st floor. Lean-to piggery to left and centre of elevation with paired access doors and entrance door to right return, adjoining pheasantry wall to left return; slightly altered wall with pair of gatepiers forming enclosed pigpen. To right of entrance: main block with 2 windows to 1st floor and single window to ground floor aligned with right window. Former single storey L-plan kennels adjoining ground floor right with entrances to S, ashlar walls (meeting main block) with 3 wrought-iron entrance gates and high railings forming dog runs. To E: blind wall with entrance door off centre right. To N: single window with 2-pane Carron light to roof. Re-entrant rear angle concealed by vegetation.

S ELEVATION: slightly projecting tower to left with small bipartite window to ground floor and ventilation louvre to attic stage; altered fenestration to centre of elevation providing modern accommodation with lean-to glass house.

COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: four 2-storey blocks meeting to form enclosed re-surfaced courtyard

W ELEVATION: high arched central pend with single window to ground floor flanks; smaller aligned window to 1st floor placed close to eaves; 2-leaf timber doors in later squared cart arch to left; blind wall to right of entrance.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: 2-storey, 5-bay elevations, door to outer and central bays of ground floors, each with 2-leaf timber panelled door and 3-pane fanlight above; widow to bays 2 and 4. To 1st floor, central former hayloft boarded timber door with 2 windows flanking. Additional small door to extreme left of ground floor on N elevation.

E ELEVATION: slightly advanced central tower with segmental-arched access pend, now blind window to 1st floor with blind half storey surmounting. To left of tower, 2-storey, 4-bay block: window and door to bays 1 and 2 on the ground floor, pair of segmental-headed cart pends to bays 3 and 4; to 1st floor, 4 small windows placed close to eaves. To right of tower, as left with fenestration reversed.

6, 8 and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows with multi-paned semi-circular windows to pavilions. Timber ventilation louvres to pavilions. Piended grey slate roof to main building and towers with lead ridging. Cast-iron rainwater goods and hoppers. Many small ashlar wallhead stacks with plain terracotta cans survive; some ridgeline stacks with ashlar neck copes and plain cans.

INTERIOR: originally planned stabling and offices set around central square courtyard, some dividers in remaining stables, original stair cases to upper storey of blocks. NE and SW angles of blocks altered to form accommodation for estate workers. Courtyard re-surfaced in concrete.

PHEASANTRY: low ashlar and rubble wall forming rough square, adjoining stable block to left of S elevation, and piggery to right of S elevation, enclosing now garden ground.

COTTAGES: single storey, 9-bay cottage accommodation with alternate window door fenestration running parallel to E elevation of stables; blind gables to N and S; irregular fenestration to E (rear). Further outbuilding to S pertaining to former piggery.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group with Preston Hall, Temple, Gazebos and Walled Garden, Lion's Gates, all set within a designated designed landscape. The stable and office were designed and built as part of improvements to the estate. It appears on both of the early estate plans that clearly show the quadrangle within differing landscapes. The building has a separate entrance gate, away from the formal Lion's Gate that services the main house. Sited to the east, the less formal drive terminates in a small lodge with kennels and outbuildings opposite to an estate farm called Rosemains. The stables share architectural motifs with Preston Hall and other estate buildings. Robert Mitchell (originally from Aberdeen, but who practised in London) planned the new house and estate buildings, most of which survive. The paired columns are seen again on the Lion's Gate and the west wings of the house. The main elevation of the stables (seen from the house through the parkland) is constructed from high quality ashlar; the lesser elevations are finished in coursed sandstone rubble. A piggery, complete with stys and pig houses is still sited at the rear of the stables. The kennels still have the wrought-iron railings dividing the dog runs. A pheasantry was sited to the S of the stables (now a garden), reinforcing the practical use of the building range, as opposed to the decorative splendour of the main house. A row of cottages is sited behind the main building and would have housed workers for the estate. The buildings are all still in use, with the exception of the kennels.

References

Bibliography

NMRS for T White, PLAN OF IMPROVEMENTS AT PRESTONHALL (watercolour 1794) showing estate layout and buildings. John Lauder, PLAN OF THE ESTATE OF PRESTONHALL (surveyed April 1806); Thomas Carfrae, PLAN OF THE LANDS OF FORD WITH PORTIONS OF PRESTONHALL AND CRICHTON (1842, Edinburgh) lithographed estate plan of Prestonhall showing layout of parks and gardens, Scottish Record Office - Register House Plans 269. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map (1853) showing stable block within Preston Hall policies; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p106.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESTON HALL POLICIES, STABLES INCLUDING KENNELS, PIGGERY, PHEASANTRY AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2018 16:50