Classic mansion built 1684-95 by Sir William Bruce, architect
and owner. 2 main storeys (with attic storey above
entablature) of ashlar. Rusticated basement, 11 bays wide;
outer 3 at each end projecting with giant Corinthian
pilasters at corners. Portico on W. side is modern copy from
original drawing. E. portico is original. Piended slated roof
(renewed 1863) platformed on top, with central lantern-light.
Interior is very fine, especially Entrance Hall and Stair,
Garden Hall and Oak Room. Short quadrant corridors on w.
side (with polygonal sundials) link mansion to small
garden-houses from which stretch walls embracing a vast
forecourt and terminating on N. side in Stable Gate and on S.
in Kirk Gate. Garden on E. side is of equal extent and
ornamented with loggias, fountain, statues. Fish Gate in E.
Statement of Special Interest
Sir William Bruce of Balcaskie (Fife) Bt., purchased barony
of Lochleven from William 8th Earl of Morton c.1680. First
wholly Classic building in Scotland. Barony was sold to
George Graham 1777. Mansion stood unoccupied 1819-91.