Dated 1683, completed 1700, with later alterations. L-plan
2-storey and attic house, with double attic in wing, and
stairtower in re-entrant angle; extended to NW pre-1700,
by 2-storey and double attic addition; adjoined to
stable range at right angles, running NE, parallel with
main block, since rendered free-standing (7 1/2 feet of
house wing removed) and converted for residential
purposes. White painted harled rubble with sandstone
ashlar dressings; rounded and chamfered arrises.
ENTRANCE (N) ELEVATION: wide door at foot of semi-
octagonal stairtower; 2-leaf doors and 1st floor
window above with lintel dated 1683. Door in main block
at right angles to left, altered from window and flanked
by further window; blind 1st floor window. Shallow
gabled bay advanced to right of stairtower, breaking
eaves, with window to each floor. 3 bays to right
comprised of 1-bay from original wing, 2 from slightly
later addition; 2 ground floor windows, tall 1st floor
window at centre and 3 swept dormerheads to attic
windows; evidence of former corbelled, rounded
stair-turret from 1st floor at outer right.
SE (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Door altered from window
at centre, with cast-iron columns to canopy porch;
tripartite, corniced ashlar window projecting to left;
2 windows flanking to right; 2 narrow 1st floor windows
to left; 3 enlarged 1st floor windows to centre and
NE gable blank with lean-to addition outbuilding at
SW ELEVATION: gable with ground and 1st floor windows to
left. 2-bay wing of 1683 to left with ground and 1st
floor windows to left and 2 attic windows slightly
breaking eaves in swept dormerheads. Later bays to left
with additions of flat-roofed porch and piend-roofed
outbuilding to outer left, and 2 ground floor windows; 2
tall 1st floor windows and swept dormerheads above.
2 slate hung dormers to 2nd attic.
Small-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows.
Steeply pitched grey slate roofs. Crowstepped skews
with beak skewputts. End and mutual gable stacks.
INTERIOR: arrangement of rooms largely modernised. 18th
century panelled oak smoking room at ground (with grey
painted plaster behind, dated 1704); Dutch tile slip to
chimneypiece. Stone newel stair in stairtower with
simple wrought-iron balustrade. Variety of circa 1900
decorative light fittings. Glasgow Style bedroom and
dressing room furniture, and painted frieze.
Decoratively tiled Glasgow Style bathroom, circa 1900,
with contemporary railed shower above bath. Some
original rafters retained in roof.
SUNDIAL: dated 1644. Lectern shaped dial on pedestal,
moved to Inveresk Lodge from Pitreavie, Fife, as gift
(Mrs Beveridge). Pedestal set upon 4 stone balls, with
carved escutcheons to each face, initials of Sir Henry
Wardlaw, and cornice. Lectern dial with heart-shaped
FORMER OUTBUILDING: sandstone rubble curtain wall
remains of former outbuildings sited on terrace to SW of
house, with 2 vaulted chambers. Allegedly with
subterranean passage linking with neighbouring property,
RETAINING AND TERRACE WALLS: sandstone rubble walls with
sections of ashlar coping and harl-pointing. Terrace
walls, late 19th century with buttress additions, circa
1960. Decorative wrought-iron overthrow to main gate,
with lantern at centre.