Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALRUDDERY, EAST GATES, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, QUADRANTS AND ADJOINING WALLSLB10854

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Liff And Benvie
NGR
NO 31905 31830
Coordinates
331905, 731830

Description

David Neave, circa 1820. Ashlar sandstone and rubble. Gates, circa 1890.

GATES: circa 1890. Wrought-iron, 2-leaf gates and side gates of intricate pattern.

GATEPIERS: 2 massive round-section gatepiers with base course, pilasters, moulded architrave and cornice, domical cap with squat urn finial, pilasters to left and right projecting as gatepost.

QUADRANTS: 6-course polished ashlar wall including base course, coped balustrade, piers to left and right with rounded pyramidal caps, flanking rubble walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Balruddery House was designed by David Neave for James Webster in Circa 1820 and this gateway and the eastern stable court/steading (listed separately) probably date from that time. The house was altered and extended by Charles Edward and Thomas Saunders Robertson in circa 1880, when the lodge and western stables/steading (listed separately) were also probably erected. The house was rebuilt after a fire in 1889 by Sidney Mitchell and demolished in the early 1960s. The gates were restored with the help of a grant from Dundee District Council. There is an unlisted ruin of a Picturesque Gothic gardener?s house on the west side of Balruddery Den (David Neave?s drawing, NMRS A39009). Formerly South Gates (Item 11).

References

Bibliography

Gershom Cumming, Publisher, FORFARSHIRE ILLUSTRATED (1848); Arthur B Dalgetty, THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF LIFF (1940), p50; Architects Notes (D M Walker); photograph in NMRS; Original drawings of Balruddery House, NMRS A39037; information ex Conservation Department, Dundee District Council.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALRUDDERY, EAST GATES, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, QUADRANTS AND ADJOINING WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 10:15