Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 48582 74840
348582, 674840


Late 17th century in origins, enlarged and altered circa 1830, principally by addition of parallel block to rear. Symmetrical 6-bay frontage, otherwise complicated in plan. Principally 2-storey, 3-storey in parts. Harled with ashlar margins and quoins, rusticated on principal elevation.

FRONT (S) BLOCK: 6-bay, symmetrical, 2 central bays advanced in gabled form; doorway between central bays with lugged and moulded architrave and carved pediment, flanked by 2 windows with 2 windows above at 1st floor and 1 small window in gablehead. 2 further windows to each side on each floor. Chamfered reveals, decorative hoppers. Gables to E and W both incorporate 2 blind windows at upper level, W gable also with single window slapped at 1st floor plus modern lean-to conservatory at ground.

E ELEVATION: assembly of buildings substantially original, adjoining main block in L-shape round small courtyard. Basically 2-storey with conical tower on 4 levels set in return. Variety of openings mostly with chamfered margins, including 2 doors, 1 of which is to tower and studded.

W ELEVATION: dominated by 1830s block, protruding 1 bay westwards from rear of main block, string course and cornice, gable with 2-storey, rectangular, tripartite bay window in droved ashlar, 1st floor heightened, flat-roofed with simple parapet. Small bipartite blind window in gablehead.

REAR (N) ELEVATION: dominated by continuation of 1830s block, featuring 2 bays slightly advanced and gabled, incorporating tall arched stair window, central window in upper gable. Otherwise plain and irregular with lean-to additions to N. Doorways and windows irregular, with alterations.

Fenestration in timber sash and case, glazing pattern varied. Front elevation all 12-pane: W elevation has 12 and 8-pane to ground, 15 and 10-pane to 1st. N elevation mostly 9 and 12-pane, with several iron rooflights. E elevation varied, with tiny openings in upper tower.

Roofs in graded grey slate. Front block gabled with moulded skews, ball skewputts to front, rolled skewputts to rear; moulded skews and skewputts with thistle finial to central projecting feature; ashlar coped stacks at gables, corbelled outwards, decorative octagonal cans. E elevation roofs gabled with skews, except tower with cornice and steep conical roof with lead cap; stack to S corbelled in ashlar and coped with 3 decorative octagonal cans, stack to E plain and harled.

W elevation with moulded skew and skewputts, plain finial. Rear elevation has moulded skews, rolled skewputts and corbelled stacks on

2 advanced bays, otherwise stacks harled with plain copes and cans.

WALLED GARDEN: detached to SE of house, well-maintained. Walled on

3 sides (hedge to W), rubble of approx 12 ft (4 m) height, rustic cope, 2 small lean-to sheds at SW corner inside and outside wall, both rubble with skews and single door, inner shed roofed in slates, outer shed roofed in corrugated asbestos. Garden has doorways at NW and SW corners, margins dressed, raised and chamfered.

Statement of Special Interest

See also separate listing for Huntington Dovecot, Stables and S Gateway.



OS 1st Edition, Haddingtonshire, 1854. C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1878,

p 260.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HUNTINGTON HOUSE, WITH WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:01