Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CALDRA FARM INCLUDING FARMHOUSE, COTTAGES AND GATEPIERSLB10514

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Fogo
NGR
NT 77206 49660
Coordinates
377206, 649660

Description

Late 18th century with later additions and alterations. Near square plan courtyard range incorporating single storey with attic, 3 bay pedimented farmhouse to outer left; single storey ranges flanking central entrance; pedimented wing to outer right; various outbuildings to N and E; single storey, 8-bay range to W adjoining single storey with attic, 3-bay block to outer left. Predominantly harl pointed sandstone rubble; droved and polished sandstone dressings; later brick repairs and additions; harled in part. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; polished margins; flush cills.

S RANGE, S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: coursed and droved circular-plan gatepiers flanking central entrance; surmounting ball finials; modern gate. Single storey, 4-bay piended range adjoined to left with part-blocked former doorway off-set to left of centre; flanking single windows (blocked); part-blocked single window in bay to outer right. Asymmetrical, 3-bay farmhouse adjoined to outer left with steps to flat-roofed porch slightly advanced at centre; part glazed boarded timber door; single window at ground in bay to right; pedimented dormer breaking eaves off-set to left above. Slightly advanced, pedimented bay breaking eaves to outer left with blocked, segmental-arched former cart opening aligned beneath apex (single window off-set to left within). Single storey, 5-bay piended range adjoining right gatepier with boarded timber stable doors in 2 bays to outer left and bay to outer right; small-pane fanlights; single windows in remaining 2 bays. Slightly advanced pedimented bay to outer right with boarded timber door in segmental-arched cart opening aligned beneath apex. N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: various single storey additions.

W RANGE, W (OUTER) ELEVATION: single storey, 8-bay range at centre with 2, 3-bay cottages to left comprising central timber doors, flanking single windows; single windows in remaining 2 bays to right. Slightly advanced, 3-bay farmhouse adjoined to outer right with single window at ground in single storey bay to left; single window at ground in subsequent bay to right (blocked); blind oculus centred at upper floor; single windows at both floors in bay to outer right. Slightly advanced 3-bay block to outer left with boarded timber door at ground in single storey bay to right; single windows in 2 bays to left (blocked); blind oculus centred beneath surmounting stepped and gabled pediment. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: various single storey additions.

N RANGE, S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: projecting 3-bay modern outbuilding adjoining single storey, piended rubble range enclosing courtyard to N.

E RANGE: part-rubble, part brick single storey outbuilding adjoining modern block to N.

Predominantly 9- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some 3-pane upper, vented lower openings. Red pantile roofs with slate easing courses to S and W ranges; grey slate and corrugated-iron roofs to remainder. Raised stone skews; corniced sandstone apex stacks to farmhouse; stepped brick ridge stacks to W range; circular cans throughout. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

An unusual complex with incorporated farmhouse, still in use as a working farm (1998). Late 19th century sale details for the nearby Caldra House, with which the farm was once associated, refer to "...offices, comprising stables etc., belonging to the mansion house, ... situate at the farm steading of Caldra, within about 300 yards of the house, and consist of ... coachman's house, coach-house and granary above, harness room, one 3-stalled stable, one 3-stalled stable, one loose-box" (SRO). With much of its original detailing intact, most notably the pantiled roofs, ball-finialled gatepiers and pedimented pavilions, the farm is a particularly good example of its type. Set to the N of Caldra House.

References

Bibliography

SRO GD267/4/14/13, GD267/18/7/1. Blackadder's map, 1797 (something on site). Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler map, 1826 (evident as courtyard). Ordnance Survey Name Book (1856 1858) Reel 62, Book 20, NMRS. Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident). C A Strang BORDERS AND BERWICK: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p49.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CALDRA FARM INCLUDING FARMHOUSE, COTTAGES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/11/2018 19:49