There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Scottish Borders
- Planning Authority
- Scottish Borders
- NT 74018 34893
- 374018, 634893
Early 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical lodge building, with extension to rear (now forming near square-plan). Dressed sandstone ashlar with architraved surrounds; rear extension of droved and plain ashlar with smooth margins to window surrounds.
NORTH EAST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced central bay containing architraved door surround and 2-leaf timber door with 4 pane letterbox fanlight surmounting; architraved windows with plain sills to flanks. Base course and mutuled cornice to all. Similarly styled single bays to south east and north west returns.
SOUTH WEST (REAR) ELEVATION: near blind elevation with door and small window to left; two windows of differing proportions to north west return, pair of matched windows to south east return.
12-pane timber sash and case windows (with original internal shutters to most). Piended slate roof with later replacement ridgings. Originally cast iron rainwater goods (gutters concealed by low parapet carried on cornice) but later intervention sees some replacement rainwater goods to exterior of cornice. Tall central ashlar stack of lozenge plan carrying pair of mismatched cans.
QUADRANT WALLS AND GATEPIERS: pair of sandstone ashlar quadrant walls (some later repairs) terminating in square ashlar gatepiers with decorative frieze below moulded cornice, pyramidal caps surmounting.
BOUNDARY WALL: harled random rubble boundary wall with semi circular stone copes extending southwest from pier; plainer rubble wall returning northwest along policy boundary.
Statement of Special Interest
This lodge was upgraded from category C to C(S) in 2005 as part of a review of listings on this estate. The Hendersyde Park policies straddle two parishes, with this lodge and the north lodge falling into Kelso Parish and the main house and other associated estate buildings falling within Ednam Parish.
Hendersyde Park (see list descriptions for main estate for further information) was seat to the Waldie family.
Notable family members include Robert Waldie, who was a friend of Sir Walter Scott's and Scott was a regular visitor to the Hendersyde and made use of their extensive library. John Waldie was a writer and a bound manuscript of his is held within the 19th century manuscripts collection at Yale University. The original house to the estate was the only mansion in Ednam Parish at the time of the 2nd Statistical Account. It is believed the lodges date with the earlier house and are found at each formal entrance to the parkland (north, west and east).
This lodge retains much of its original character and is important as it is sited on the now principal entrance to Hendersyde Park. This entrance has had piers removed, which would have formed a pedestrian entrance within the gateway, but the surviving entrance and lodge play a key role in part of a wider group (the adjacent lodge, the decorative entrance doorway in the wall on the opposite side of the road and the proximity of the Westwood Cottage).
This C(S) listed group is also listed at B-Group category with other buildings on the Hendersyde Park estate.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845) Volume 3, p421. 1st EDITION ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1860) showing West Lodge and entrance. 2nd edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing extended lodge and formal entrance. National Register of Archives, WALDIE-GRIFFITH FAMILY, 1625-1930: deeds, estate, family and some household papers.(Record Reference ' GD1/378) NRA catalogue reference NRA 9960 Waldie-Griffith.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HENDERSYDE PARK, HENDERSYDE WEST LODGE INCLUDING QUADRANT WALLS, GATEPIERS AND PART BOUNDARY WALL
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 24/01/2019 02:22