Perhaps by James Smith. Dated 1728. Early classical 2-storey
5-bay tripartite-plan country house with sunk basement.
Limewashed rubble, red ashlar dressings. South elevation:
pedimented central doorway, lugged architrave with depressed
ogee head, consoled cornice, Queensberry crest in
tympanum; plate glass sashes; bold, rusticated ashlar
clasping pilaster strips; off-set base course; eaves course;
cornice breaking forward at centre and ends; pair stacks;
steep-pitched piended and leaded platform roof with graded
slates. Single storey rear wing to north west not original.
Interior: altered; some original moulded cornice plasterwork
and woodwork; panelled doors; 19th century stair with simple
wooden balusters; some chimney pieces. Remains of original
stone steps in basement; timber silhouette balustares in
Statement of Special Interest
Attributed to Smith on stylistic and circumstantial grounds.
Doorway comparable with west door of William Adam's Craigdar-
roch house (1729) and of Kirkpatrick Mausoleum, Closeburn
(1742). Steading not included in listing. Neglected (1986).