Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KIRKLAND VILLAGE GLENCAIRN PARISH CHURCHLB10312

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Glencairn
NGR
NX 80906 90471
Coordinates
280906, 590471

Description

William MacCandlish of Dalry, architect. Built 1836. Gothic

church with north transept, forming T-plan; central 4-stage

square tower on south wall. Symmetrical. Rubble-built with

ashlar dressings. Door and window openings all hood-moulded

with pointed heads, windows to body of church with elaborate intersecting (wooden) tracery and small panes. Tower has door

with fanlight, moulded and shafted reveals, facing south. 2nd

stage reaches above eaves, each face with tall lancet to 2nd

stage; blind quatrefoil to 3rd stage, louvred lancet belfry

opening to 4th. Clasping pilaster strips become octagonal

angle shafts at top stage, these rise above crenellated

parapet, with pinnacles. 2 large windows to each side of

tower. East and west gables each have door (blocked west)

below short gallery window and full-height flanking windows.

Transept has unusual arrangement of large arched opening with

north window and 3 doors recessed on north wall. Saw-tooth

skews; pinnacles over gables and over clasping angle pilaster

strips. Low vestry in north east re-entrant angle. Slate

roofs.

Interior: 3 galleries each on Tuscan columns, octagonal oak

pulpit and communion table on south wall not original; white

marble monument on east wall by H. Rouw of London, to Walter

Ross Munro (d.1816); also bronze bust of Rev Patrick

Borrowman by James Paterson ARSA, (1900) removed from Free

Church circa 1960; leaded glass window dated 1948.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. 2 schemes proposing

alterations to church by Peter MacGregor Chalmers not

executed (drawings in church).

References

Bibliography

H Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS

1600-1840, 1978. p.529

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKLAND VILLAGE GLENCAIRN PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 06:19