Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GLENLUIART HOUSELB10307

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/06/1986
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Glencairn
NGR
NX 76428 90867
Coordinates
276428, 590867

Description

W West Nave of London, architect. Dated 1900-1 Mansion house

in Arts and Crafts style with large mullioned and transomed

and smaller mullioned windows, all with small leaded panes; asymmetrical; 2/3 storeys over raised basement. Rubble-built,

with red ashlar dressings. South elevation: off-centre door

at raised basement with shallow sidelights, and flat canopy,

windows to left. Tall mullioned and transomed window above

reaching to eaves, wide dormer in roof; outer gables (one

crow-stepped), 4-light windows to right, wide canted windows

to left, with parapet below attic window. Gabled and piended

slate roofs, on various levels.

2-storey, wide canted window to east elevation below wide

mullioned window, roof piended above, and swept over eaves.

Tall stack to west elevation rises from stepped, full-height

projecting base. Coped stacks. Low courtyard to north, gabled

projection on 2 columns above rear door.

Interior: some decorative wood panelling.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Mrs Monteith. Foundation stone beside door

inscribed "EMM 1900"; rainwater heads dated 1901. James

Barbour was supervising architect. Architects' names also

provided by owner. Original scheme shows red tile roof.

References

Bibliography

Drawings (dated 1899) held by Sutherland, Dickie & Copeland

of Dumfries. (Copies in NMRS)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENLUIART HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:44