Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 84344 93811
284344, 593811


David Bryce, Architect, 1847-68. Scots Baronial mansion house incorporating circa 1780 square-plan 3-bay house encased

and extended to south, 1847/8, further more elaborate

additions to north 1855, mullioned conservatory to west

1855/6. Low service court to north west also 1855, extended

1868. Mostly 2 storeys, with raised basements and attics.

Stugged pink ashlar; polished dressings, corbelling,

crow-stepped gables, pedimented dormer heads bartizans and

coped stacks. Square-headed single and mullioned plate-glass

sash windows. 1847/8 work comprises 3-bay south elevation,

canted window at left (with steps added 1855) corbelled to

square above, and gabled; porch added to east elevation of

original house, turret in re-entrant angle corbelled to

square at upper level. 1854 baronial wing modelled on tower

house with bartizans and corbelled parapet beneath east

gable; 2 north-facing doors, east-facing oriel, stepped

corbel table and corbelled gable at west end of north wall.

Bartizans (1 square, 1 round) on west elevation flanking

original house. Slate roofs throughout curved or pyramidal,

and finialed over bartizans. Conservatory extends 4 gableted

bays to west with angle buttresses and finials. Interior:

main library in earlier building with fitted bookshelves

and panelling to deeply-set reveals; Sir Hugh Gladstone's

ornithological library housed in smaller library room;

staircase and gallery with turned wooden balusters and

pendants; some timber and marble chimneypieces and decorative

ceiling plasterwork. Terrace balustrate and steps at east,

west and at south.

Statement of Special Interest

Article on Kirkpatricks of Capenoch discusses earlier

building in 'TDGNHAS', 1929. 1847 additions for James

Grierson, later additions for T S Gladstone.



A Rowan in COUNTRY LIFE, 13.8.1970 Copies of 1854/5 drawings

in NMRS. pub. University of Edinburgh, MR DAVID BRYCE 1976

(exhibition Catalogue) pp.116-7

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAPENOCH HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 09:00