Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOCHINCH HERITAGE ESTATE, OLD PARISH CHURCHLB10177

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Inch
NGR
NX 10221 60907
Coordinates
210221, 560907

Description

Thomas Hall, 1770; possibly incorporating earlier material. Former parish church (now roofless), measuring 75 ft from NE to SW; rectangular-plan made T-plan by later NW 'aisle' (now bricked off). Rubble built; ashlar dressings to openings and quoins of NW aisle.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: iron gate to round-arched entrance at ground; round-arched opening above; birdcage bellcote at apex.

SE ELEVATION: 5 round-arched, partly infilled openings (narrower central opening); projecting keystones and imposts.

NE ELEVATION: iron gate to round-arched entrance at ground; round-arched opening above.

NW ELEVATION: blank gable to projecting aisle; remains of stack. Steps to entrance to right re-entrant angle; flanking single windows (rectangular openings).

INTERIOR: roofless; wall monuments.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use. See separate list description for graveyard, gatepiers, gates, railings and boundary wall. A school to the N of the church is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1848. See separate list description for Old Parish Church Graveyard including gatepiers, gates, railings and boundary walls. Other listings on the Lochinch Heritage Estate include Balker Farmhouse, Balker Lodge, Black Loch Boathouse, Black Stables Cottage, Canal Cottage, Castle Kennedy, Castle Kennedy Bridge, Castle Kennedy gatepiers, gates and boundary walls, Castle Kennedy Lodge, Castle Kennedy Walled Garden, East Lodge, Garden Cottage, Ice House, Kennels, Kennel's House, Kitchen Garden, Lochinch Castle, Lochinch Stable Court, Main Lodge, Main Lodge gatepiers, gates and boundary walls, Old Parish Church graveyard, 3 Sundials and White Loch Boathouse.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie's Wigton map, 1782; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1839), p92; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol IV (1892), p282; RCAHMS INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN GALLOWAY, Vol I, COUNTY OF WIGTOWN (1912), p16; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, Vol 2 (1987), p36; John Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p412.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHINCH HERITAGE ESTATE, OLD PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 02:56