J Maitland Wardrop, 1858-61. Near-rectangular-plan Gothic parish church; lower height section to SW. Whinstone; ashlar dressings. Lancet-headed window openings.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to advanced gabled entrance porch to outer right; 2-leaf timber door; hoodmould; label stops; single windows flanking; tripartite window to advanced gabled bay, 3-light moulded roundel to gable; 2 single windows to nave; re-entrant angle porch to left; 2-leaf timber door; single window to outer left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: angled buttresses to nave gable; steps to trefoil-arched war memorial; hoodmould; label stops; tripartite window aligned above; recessed roundel to gable; gabletted bellcote (steeple originally intended).
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 single windows at ground; tripartite window aligned above; recessed 3-light moulded roundel to gable; finial.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: buttresses irregularly divide 7 nave windows; lean-to entrance and single window to lower height section to right, stone roof; timber door to re-entrant angle of porch.
Leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews; wallhead stack to NW elevation; polygonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: Hamilton More-Nisbett, 1895-6, following fire; timber floor, pews and altar furnishings. Organ by Brindley & Foster, 1897, rebuilt by H Hilsdon, 1970; E window by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, circa 1900.
GRAVEYARD: predominantly 20th century headstone graves.
MONUMENT TO JOHN ALEXANDER, GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS: monument to John Alexander: square-plan stone plinth, surmounted by cylindrical shaft surmounted by urn, died 1905; square-plan gatepiers to entrance; pyramidal caps; iron gates; stepped coped boundary walls enclosing site.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church contains 400 sittings and of particular note are the Gothic timberwork to the Stair family chapel and the altar. JM Wardrop, in partnership with Thomas Brown from 1849, was also responsible for Lochinch Castle, which stands in grounds opposite the church (see separate list description). John Alexander, the monument to whom stands in the graveyard, was better known as Blind Johnnie, the favourite street musician in Stranraer, he died in 1905 aged 70.