Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CREETOWN ,KIRK BRAE, KIRKMABRECK PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARDLB10151

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmabreck
NGR
NX 47606 58499
Coordinates
247606, 558499

Description

Built 1834, Neo-Gothic aisled hall church with square projecting tower to S gable. Coursed rubble with polished red sandstone dressings. 4-bay near full-height aisles with timber-traceried 3-light windows, with perpendicular traceried heads, small-pane diamond glazing. N gable with wide traceried 4-light window now partly blocked by single storey modern rendered flat roofed extension.

S ELEVATION: boldly projecting square bay rises to roof level with advanced centre part which rises to form tower above roof level. Polished ashlar masonry around door which has stepped-up hoodmould. Single lancet above this, with 3-light blind opening to lower stage of tower. Top stage with 2 narrow belfry openings, boldly projecting band course, embattled parapet with square gabletted piers at angles with cross finials. Sandstone skews with cross finial to N gable, slate roofs. INTERIOR: U-plan galleried, marbled cast-iron columns, panelled timber balcony. Pedimented doorcase under gallery. Boxpews to corners. 4-centred vaulted ceiling. Boarded dado. Fine octagonal timber pulpit with stairs. Galleried balustrade to choir stalls. 17th century style communion table. Stained glass window, post 1863. GRAVEYARD: rubble walled graveyard with iron railings and gates opposite church, square coped granite gatepiers. Mainly 19th century gravestones; that to Captain John McKean of particular note.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The NSA describes how the site of the Parish Church was moved from Kirkdale by an Act of Parliament in 1645, to 'a more accessible and convenient situation, at what was then called the Ferry Town Of Cree'. The church is sited on the Clauchan Croft, and in 1834 deemed to be 'the handsomest church in Galloway' (NSA).

References

Bibliography

NSA Vol IV (1844) P312 and p343.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CREETOWN ,KIRK BRAE, KIRKMABRECK PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 12:11