Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BEACH LODGE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLSLB10117

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/02/1994
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Leswalt
NGR
NW 97463 59926
Coordinates
197463, 559926

Description

Pre 1848. Single storey and attic, gabled cottage. Pinned rubble. Painted ashlar chamfered margins and mullions. Narrow lights to windows. Overhanging eaves.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Gabled bay advanced at centre; door (modern) to S return; tripartite window in ashlar coped advanced panel at ground floor to W, bipartite window above in gablehead. Bipartite windows in outer bays.

S ELEVATION: tripartite window in ashlar coped advanced panel at ground floor; bipartite window above in gablehead.

N ELEVATION: bipartite window at ground floor and above in gablehead.

E ELEVATION: small modern porch adjoined to right. Passage

to outer right, linking cottage to small lower gabled wing to NE

(former servants' quarters, see below).

Very small, small-pane glazing: 12-pane glazing to each light in sash and case windows at ground floor; 6-pane glazing in casement windows to attic. Ashlar corniced rubble stacks flanking centre of ridge. Purple slates.

WING TO NE: door to left and 2-light window to right to S. 2-

light window to W. Gablehead stack to E.

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble coped rubble wall enclosing square-plan garden to W.

Statement of Special Interest

Beach Lodge is situated at Larbrax Bay. Beach Lodge has also been known as Beach Cottage. The building is marked on the OS Map of 1847-48 as "Bathing Cottage"; it is again marked as "Bathing Cottage" on the OS Map of 1906-07. Beach Lodge was originally used for recreation purposes by the Lochnaw Estate.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1849, Wigtownshire, Sheet 15 (surveyed 1847-48). OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XVI NE (surveyed 1906-07).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BEACH LODGE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 17:55