Probably 1744; 4-bay church, repaired and enlarged circa 1795
(?addition of N jamb); all heightened several masonry
courses, perhaps 1830; renovated 1889. Rubble-built with
ashlar dressings, S elevation and E gable rendered. Splayed
base course to body of church. 4 pointed windows (?1889) to
long S wall and eaves moulding; gabled porch at E with iron
cresting, shouldered S-facing door; vestry adjoins W gable.
Unusual birdcage belfry (?1889) over E gable. Roofed with
graded slates. Boiler room in NW re-entrant angle demolished
circa 1985 exposing blocked square-headed window on jamb W
wall; N gable window of jamb originally a door.
Interior: plaster-vaulted roof; panelled timber pulpit
central on long S wall.
CHURCHYARD: quadrangular enclosure, with rubble-built partly ashlar-coped walls, extended to S in 20th century; plain
gatepiers (wrought-iron gates) and stile at E. Mostly 18th
and 19th century stone monuments, some with classical
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. FASTII ECCLESSIAE
SCOTICANAE states that the church was "rebuilt about 1703",
but no primary source is quoted either by Fastii or by Groome
or Hay. OSA report (Langholm) states that "It is soon ....
to be repaired and enlarged".
Change of Category B to C(S) 30.9.87