Circa 1791. Unusual and symmetrically arranged pair of
2-storey houses, that nearest W the birthplace of Thomas
Carlyle. Rubble-built with ashlar dressings; whitewashed,
with contrasting painted amrgins. 5 bays, wide central
depressed-arched pend with Venetian window over; sash
windows in outer bays at each floor; panelled door with
fanlight and datestone over to intermediate bays (1573
stone reset - other stone modern). Small-paned glazing.
Houses both originally with doorway into pend, that to E now
a window. Straight skews; corniced end stacks; slate roof.
Asymmetrical and altered rear (S) wings, full-height wing
nearest W (now caretaker's house) added/heightened in 19th
century, extended one bay in 20th century; late 19th century
openings to courtyard.
INTERIOR: Carlyle's birthplace contains family furnishings
and memorabilia, some associated with house; large kitchen
fireplace with stone corbels supporting long lintel.
Cobbled pavement with "loupin-on" stone.