18th century in part; rebuilt late 18th century; substantial additions and alterations by James Stevenson, architect, 1882-3; later improvements. Classically-detailed former manse comprising symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan block to front with earlier 2-storey and basement, rectangular-plan block at rear stepped down with slope. Coursed and stugged cream sandstone to front elevation entrance block; rendered side elevations; harled at rear; sandstone ashlar dressings throughout (lightly droved in part). Base course to entrance block; moulded eaves beneath overhanging, bracketed eaves to front and sides. Narrow quoin strips to entrance block; plain margins throughout; sandstone mullions; projecting cills (corbelled brackets to front; flush at rear).
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to timber panelled door centred at ground; plate glass fanlight; door-surround comprising flanking pilasters, frieze of triglyphs and guttae, surmounting pediment. Tripartite windows at ground in bays to outer left and right (narrow side-lights); single windows in all bays at 1st floor.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: entrance block to right with single windows at both floors off-set to left of centre. Lower wing recessed to left with single windows at ground and 1st floors in bay to right; single basement window at centre; small window off-set to left at ground; boarded timber basement door in bay to outer left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Timber panelled door centred at basement; 2-pane fanlight; plain surround with bracketed, corniced canopy above. Single window centred at ground; larger stair (?) window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at all floors in bays to outer left and right; later narrow window at 1st floor off-set to left of centre.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: entrance block to left with single windows at both floors off-set to right of centre. Lower wing recessed to right with single windows at all floors in bay to left; blocked single windows at ground and 1st floors in bay to right.
Predominantly plate glass and 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate, slightly bell-cast piended roofs. Swept and coped wallhead stacks; various circular cans. Predominantly replacement rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS, QUADRANT WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low coped wall enclosing site to front with full-width, spearheaded iron railings above. Arched coping to taller, rubble quadrant walls flanking entrance. Tapering, circular-plan iron gatepiers; 2-leaf, spearheaded iron gates with integral decorative panels.
Statement of Special Interest
Set to the SW of Ayton Parish Church (see separate list entry) this well-detailed former manse is now a private residence. Noted in the OS Name Book as "?a plainly built dwelling house two stories [sic] high with offices and stabling?" This plain 18th century structure now forms the rear portion of the house. According to the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, completed in 1834, the building was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century and the gardens and grounds "...laid out with great taste by the former incumbent..." Plans held in the SRO, dated 1882 and stamped 'James Stevenson, architect, Berwick-upon-Tweed', show the manse virtually as it is today - with a substantial, rectangular-plan, classically-detailed addition proposed to the front of the earlier structure, providing a drawing room, vestibule and dining room at ground and 2 further bedrooms and a dressing room above. The nearby stable block, originally associated with the manse, is now owned separately, along with the remains of the rubble-walled garden (1998). Rutherfurd notes a Rev Daniel Cameron as minister and resident here in 1866.