The present designed landscape was established between 1742 - 1818. An improvement plan for the work was prepared by Thomas White in 1797 but only part of this was acted upon. The actual design incorporated features of the earlier landscape such as the avenue to the north of the house which appears on Roy's plan of c.1750.
The Setons were a powerful Scottish family who, in return for their loyalty to the Crown, were created Barons of Seton in 1361 and Earls of Winton in 1585. Alexander Seton, head of a cadet branch of the family acquired Touch in the mid-15th century from the Fraser family but it was his son, of the same name, who became the 1st laird of Touch in 1480. Sir Alexander's grandson, Sir Walter Seton, the 2nd laird, was the first to actually inhabit the property before his death in 1568. When the first Setons lived in Touch it was principally a tower, reputedly built by the previous owners in the 14th century.
In 1742, Elizabeth Seton inherited the property from her brother and, just before her marriage to Hugh Smith on the day of the Battle of Prestonpans, she allowed Prince Charles to stay at Touch. After their marriage Hugh and Elizabeth Seton, having retained the family name, commissioned a new house adjoining the original tower. Money was borrowed to cover the cost of the building and considerable improvements were made to the grounds. John Ramsay of Ochtertyre described the improvements at Touch as being of a scale similar to those being carried out at the same time by Hugh Seton's friend, Lord Kames, at Blair Drummond. The architect of the house is uncertain but it is known that Gideon Gray was the stonemason for the works and was retained thereafter as factor for the estate.
Elizabeth Seton died in 1775. Hugh Seton continued to borrow money and amassed debts which resulted in his imprisonment at Dover Castle. On his release, he changed his name and left the country. His son, Archibald, had gone to India in 1779 where he joined the East India Company and achieved considerable success eventually becoming a member of the Council. Through his efforts the financial fortunes of Touch were redressed. In Archibald Seton's absence, Touch was managed by his brother-in-law, Sir Henry Seton-Steuart of Allanton. It was during this period that the designed landscape which remains today was established. Thomas White was commissioned in 1779 to prepare an improvement plan but, according to the survey plan of 1810 by Leslie, only some of this appears to have been carried out. Sir Henry is said to have planted about one million trees at Touch and many of these were established on Craigbrock Hill to the west of the house which roughly accords with White's ideas. His suggestions for clump planting as part of an extensive scheme for informalising the park were not all taken up and his plans for a serpentine lake to the east of the house appear to have been dismissed.
In 1818, Archibald Seton died and the estate passed to his sister Barbara. In 1835 it passed to her niece, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Henry Seton-Steuart, and in 1866 to her son Sir Henry James Seton-Steuart. Little appears to have been altered on the estate during their time although some ornamental conifers were planted in the manner of this period.
Sir Henry Allan Seton-Steuart inherited in 1884. He lived at Allanton, and Touch was let. His younger brother, Douglas, the last Seton baronet, sold Touch to Mr C.A. Buchanan in 1928. The new owner commissioned Sir Robert Lorimer to restore the interior of the house. Lorimer also designed a new lodge and realigned the approach drive to the house.
During World War II, Touch was used as a convalescent home. After 1945 the family returned and, since 1962, their son and daughter-in-law, Mr & Mrs P.B. Buchanan have lived at Touch. The gales of the winter of 1968 caused severe damage to the woodlands and recovery has been slow but Mr & Mrs Buchanan continue their series of improvements, particularly in the garden.