Inventory Garden & Designed Landscape

MallenyGDL00272

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Date Added
01/07/1987
Last Date Amended
07/08/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Parish
Currie
NGR
NT 16532 66605
Coordinates
316532, 666605

Celebrated for its old Dutch-style gardens in the 19th century, Malleny has outstanding architectural value as the setting for Malleny House and dovecot and has outstanding horticultural value for its national collection of heritage shrub roses.

Type of Site

A semi-formal walled garden and woodland estate landscape to the west of Balerno village, associated with the early 17th century Malleny House.

Main Phases of Landscape Development

1600-20, 1680-1730, 1780s, 1810-30, 1870-1920 and 1961-72.

 

Inventory record, inventory name and inventory boundary revised in 2018. Previously

designated as Malleny (Wester Lymphoy).

Artistic Interest

Level of interest
High

In its present form, Malleny retains much of the structure evident on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps (1853 and 1894), including the walled garden, paths, entrance drive and shelter woodland. Some features and structural elements of the earlier Dutch-style gardens remain, pre-dating the 19th century, such as the walled garden, the four notable yews, and architectural features such as the house, the sundial and the Scott Burial Vault.

 

Interest in this category derives from appreciation of the garden in its present form, as well as the written accounts of the 19th century, which attest to the appreciation of the garden during this earlier phase.

 

Lord Cockburn, writing in 1846, identified Malleny as one of only five 'curious, old-style gardens' to remain in Midlothian (Cockburn 1874: 146), and the Ordnance Survey Gazetteer of 1882 described Malleny as having '…Dutch gardens with fine old yews and plane trees.'

 

While largely now of interest for its horticultural value, written accounts celebrate Malleny's design qualities, indicating its value as a work of art both in the past, and in more recent times (Maxwell 1911; Greenoak, 2005; Cox 2014).

 

The layout of the garden is not connected with a designer who achieved national renown, and there is no known evidence to suggest Malleny has performed a trendsetting role for the development of later gardens. Therefore, the site merits 'high' rather than 'outstanding' in this category.

Historical

Level of interest
High

The garden has interest in this category as an example of a formal garden that pre-dates the mid-19th century. Some of the structure of the early garden layout remains physically evident. Of the five Midlothian gardens described by Lord Cockburn in 1846, Malleny, Hatton House (GDL00209) and elements of Woodhall (LB28131) are all that remain.

 

The garden has a long-standing association with Malleny House, which is itself of historic interest due to its early date. There is surviving documentary evidence for the garden over a period of centuries, dating from at least the 1780s to the present day (2018). Much of this archive material is held by the National Trust for Scotland, which was not viewed as part of this review (2017). Other surviving documents include lists of seedling trees, fruit trees and a bill of vegetable seeds that were planted in Malleny between 1783 and 1787 (National Archives of Scotland, GD41/329). There are also a series of accounts and discharges for building and garden work, which took place between 1782 and 1786 (National Archives of Scotland, GD41/95).

Horticultural

Level of interest
Outstanding

With over 150 varieties, Malleny has one of the largest collections of roses in Scotland and holds the National Collection of 19th century Shrub Roses, as recorded by the National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens. Some of the oldest roses at Malleny are Scotch roses, however their names have been lost over time. Some of the other named varieties are Rosa 'Stanwell Perpetual' and Rosa 'Harison's Yellow'.

 

The four remaining early 17th century yew trees and the yew hedge, are key features of the walled garden. They are of special interest under this category and form evidence for the earlier formal planting of the garden. While there are no known champion trees at Malleny, notable mature specimens include the large Atlas cedar to the south of the walled garden and the four Irish yews surrounding the fountain (www.thetreeregister.org.uk). The shelter woodland also contains a number of substantial plane trees, including some large sycamore, which were noted by Maxwell in 1911 (p.95). Overall, the general variety of trees, shrubs and other plants within the gardens contribute further interest under this category.

Architectural

Level of interest
Outstanding

The designed landscape at Malleny provides the setting for Malleny House, built in the 17th century and recognised for its national architectural and historic interest. It also contains a range of other architectural features including the dovecot, the Scott Burial Vault, estate buildings and sundial. As a result the garden merits outstanding architectural significance.

Archaeological

Level of interest
Little

There are no scheduled monuments or recorded archaeological sites within the designation boundary (2018).  

 

As with all designed landscapes, there is potential for future survey or investigation to reveal further information about the landscape through time. In the case of Malleny, an earlier house was located on the site, possibly within the current walled garden, and it is possible that buried archaeological deposits survive. There is also the potential for archaeological deposits to survive relating to the earlier layout of the garden.

Scenic

Level of interest
Some

Enclosed and inward looking, the garden is secluded by the shelter woodland planting which surrounds and protects the site. This mixed woodland canopy can be seen from the surrounding area and contributes to the wider setting of Balerno village. The contribution of the landscape of Malleny is recognised by a number of local landscape designations (2018) (Edinburgh Local Development Plan 2018).

Nature Conservation

Level of interest
Some

There are no Sites of Special Scientific Interest or other nationally designated conservation habitats at Malleny (2018). The woodland areas of the garden have a local designation as a Local Nature Conservation Site. The burn forms a valuable wildlife corridor and the woodland provides some habitat for animals such as birds, squirrels and bats. The sheltered conditions within the walled garden, combined with the range of shrubs and perennials provide habitat for insects such as bees.

Location and Setting

Malleny is a small and enclosed garden located six miles southwest of Edinburgh, on the edge of Balerno village. Situated at around 150 metres above sea level and mainly north facing, the site is set into a hillside and is sheltered by a belt of mature woodland. The Pentland Hills form the eastern backdrop to the wider landscape setting, characterised by enclosed arable farmland and pasture that gently slopes westward. There are large belts of shelter planting and the broad and undulating plains are incised by the steep and wooded banks of the Water of Leith and its tributaries. The setting of the garden was originally more rural, however with the expansion of Edinburgh and the villages of Balerno and Currie during the 19th and 20th centuries, it is now largely suburban.

Malleny is bordered to the west by Balerno village and Bavelaw Burn, which meanders to join the Water of Leith along the northwest boundary. The remaining boundary is defined by the recreational grounds of Malleny Park to the north and by green pasture to the northeast and southeast, which gives way to arable farmland.

The garden originally formed part of the larger Malleny Estate, which comprised 3,000 acres in 1882 but this became fragmented in the late 20th century. It presently extends to some 18 acres. It consists of a 3 acre walled garden to the north of the early 17th century Malleny House. Mature mixed planting borders much of the site, providing shelter for the plant collection. The Scott Burial Vault is located in an area of land to the north, while the former entrance drive and lodge are located to the west. The topography within the garden is generally even but rises upwards towards an area of mixed woodland to the east, and slopes steeply down towards the burn to the west.

Site History

The earliest documentary record of the site dates from the early 14th century (National Trust for Scotland: c.1987). Identified on historical maps as 'W[ester] Lymphoy' or 'Lumphoy', it is not until Roy's map of c.1750 that the house and site are captioned 'Moleaney'. The earliest known owners of 'Malany' were Alexander Knychtsoune and his wife Christian in 1478. Their descendent William Knychtsoune was responsible for rebuilding or refurbishing an earlier house in the late-16th century (Gore-Browne Henderson1976: 3), which may have been sited within the walled garden (Land Use Consultants 1982: 157).

 

The estate was held by branches of the Knychtsoune family until it was sold off in 1617, after which it changed hands a number of times. During the early 17th century, twelve yew trees, known as the 'Twelve Apostles', were planted, reputedly to commemorate the 1603 Act of Union between England and Scotland. The present house was built around 1637. In 1647 the estate was acquired by William Scott (later Lord Clerkington) and his son Sir John, became the 1st Scott of Malleny in 1656. There were six Scotts of Malleny and the early generations built the doocot and planted the yew hedge, which still dissects the walled garden. They also configured the gardens into the Dutch-style, which was popular in Scotland from the late-17th century.

 

Evidence of early planting and a walled garden is first shown on Adair's map of 1682. Roy's map of circa 1750 depicts this in greater detail with the house sited within a walled garden and surrounded by three other walled and tree-lined enclosures (Dingwall 2007: 4). Further planting was established in the 1780s, which included numerous fruit trees, hedges and a large variety of trees including spruce, oak, beech, lime and ash (National Archives of Scotland, GD41/329). Between 1810 and 1823 the house was extended to the north by General Thomas Scott. This involved the removal of the southern wall of the walled garden (Campbell 2007: 129). Scott retired from the army in 1818, and may also have planted many of the beech trees, which now survive as mature specimens at Malleny. Around this time the large Atlas cedar was also planted just to the north of the new wing to Malleny House (Greenoak 2005: 163).

 

Knox's map (c.1816) and the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1853) show that the structure of the present garden had largely been established by the mid-19th century.  Lord Cockburn writing in 1846 noted that Malleny was one of five curious, old-style gardens remaining in Midlothian, which '…were all small and of the same character: evergreen bushes, terraces and carved stones…' but were '…all sadly injured now.' (Cockburn 1874: 146). The glasshouses, fountain and woodland paths were inserted during the second half of the 19th century, along with the mixed deciduous woodland between the walled garden and the Scott Burial Vault to the north. The largely mixed deciduous woodland garden opposite the house had been established before the early 1890s (Ordnance Survey 1893), but the eastern end was planted during the early 20th century.

 

In 1882 the Ordnance Survey Gazetteer noted that Malleny had Dutch gardens, fine old yews and plane-trees (Groome 1896: 5). In the same year the 5th Earl of Rosebery purchased the estate and leased it to various tenants, including Sir Thomas Gibson-Carmichael who developed the garden and added decorative wrought iron work pieces. By the late 19th century the garden and paths had been further developed and the former parterres had been replaced by bordered lawns (Campbell 2007: 129). 1910-39 the garden was again altered by a Mr K. Gourlay, who specialised in bush roses (Land Use Consultants, 1982: 156). The woodland was expanded slightly to the southeast in circa 1910 and a new footbridge and path inserted, which define the present boundary to the south.

The house and policies were sold in 1955 and bought by Commander and Mrs Gore-Browne Henderson in 1960. In 1961 eight of the 17th century yews, which surrounded the northern wing of the house, were removed. The garden was almost entirely replanted during the 1960s using shrubs and ground cover but the overall structure was largely maintained (Gore-Browne Henderson 1976: 7). In particular, shrub roses and rhododendrons were added due to their suitability to the local soil and climate conditions.

In 1968 the mansion house, ancillary buildings and gardens were donated to the National Trust for Scotland. Under the Trust, an existing collection of 19th century shrub roses was expanded and the former tennis court and orchard in the walled garden were replaced by lawns. A new entrance gate for visitors was inserted into the east wall in 1972. Currently (2018), the house is privately leased and the gardens are open to the public.

Landscape Components

Architectural Features

Malleny House (LB27172), was built around 1637 by the then owner Sir James Murray of Kilbaberton, Master of the King's Works. Elements of an earlier house may have been incorporated into the fabric, which are thought to include the date stone of 1589, located in the kitchen of the present house. The northern wing of the house was added in the early 19th century.

 

The doocot (LB27173), is thought to date from the mid-17th century (National Trust for Scotland, c.2010) and stands to the east of the house. It has crowstepped gables, an unusual saddleback roof and the entrance is unusually located to the north rather than the south elevation. It contains 915 nest boxes and the decorative wind vane was added in the 1960s.

 

The Scott Burial Vault (LB27162), is located in a wooded area to the north of the house and gardens. It was not seen at the time of visit (2017). The approach is via a tree-lined avenue leading north from the main entrance drive. Thought to date from the late-17th century, it was largely reconstructed in the 19th century. The vault was sealed by Colonel Cunningham Scott in 1884. Other architectural features include a single-span stone bridge over Bavelaw Burn, and a set of nearby gates and gate piers, which all date from around the late 19th century. The L-plan Green Cottage and Blue Cottage to the northeast of the house, date from the early to mid-19th century. Formerly the stables, granary, cart-shed and worker's cottages, they were altered between 1910 and 1939. The decorative wrought iron work was added to the garden by Sir Thomas Gibson-Carmichael during his tenancy in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These pieces were largely removed in 1910 but some remain, including the gates behind the fountain and the Rosebery crest to the walled garden entrance balustrade.

 

Built from uncoursed rubble stone walls, the three acre walled garden is north of Malleny House. It features a sundial, which is dated 1700, a pair of Victorian glasshouses to the northeast corner and an earlier rubblestone bothy to the outer west side. The pagoda-style lych gate, added to the east wall of the walled garden in 1972, was designed by Schomberg Scott. It bears the Gore-Browne Henderson crest.

 

A cast-iron fountain is located to the east of Malleny House, on a linear path opposite the main entrance. It is three-tiered, has four decorative herons to the base and is set within a circular pond. It is designed to be gravity-fed by a diversion of the burn to the rear into a pit. It was purchased from an English architectural salvage company in around 1990 as a close match to the former 19th century fountain, which had been removed in the 1960s (information courtesy of member of the public 2018).

 

Malleny Lodge, is located at the former western entrance and was built in the second half of the 19th century.

Drives & Approaches

Malleny is approached from the southwest via a shared entranceway on Bavelaw Green, a road introduced in the mid to late 20th century to bypass Balerno village. The drive follows a route around the north and east of the walled garden.  It is lined with mature, mainly deciduous trees. Glimpses of the four notable yew trees are visible over the walled garden. On approach to the house, the flanking trees terminate and the path turns, revealing a view of the main elevation of the house.

 

As shown on Knox's map (circa 1816), Malleny's main entrance drive was originally situated some distance to the northeast, near to Currie Kirk. During the second half of the 19th century a tree-lined entrance drive, bridge, entrance gate and lodge building were built to create a main entrance from Bridge Road to the west. Prior to this Malleny was only connected to Balerno village via several footbridges, which are marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1853). The present entrance way was inserted in the second half of the 20th century. It is shared with the adjacent Currie Rugby Club. The western portion of the drive was subsequently blocked and is no longer used for access to Malleny.

Paths & Walks

Winding footpaths lead from the forecourt of the house into the woodland. These were largely introduced in the 20th century but some follow earlier routes (Ordnance Survey maps 1852-1913). A late-19th century linear route is partially evident, leading from the centre of the main elevation of the house into the woodland, with the fountain as a focal point. This path now terminates after a set of stone steps to the rear of the fountain.

 

A gated and winding path leads from the forecourt of the house into the walled garden. The gravel paths roughly follow the internal perimeter of the walls but are not laid to a strict geometry. The paths have wide borders with mixed planting of herbaceous perennials, shrubs and roses. There is a dissecting path on the east-west axis, which is roughly centred on the four yews.

Woodland

The perimeter of the site is bounded by mature woodland shelterbelts. These contribute visual interest in the local landscape, with the woodland canopy especially visible from the eastern edge of Balerno village.

 

The shelterbelts were first planted in the late 18th century. Further planting took place in the first half of the 19th century, particularly along the entrance drive and the path to the burial vault to the north.

 

The present woodland belts largely comprise broadleaf trees including sycamore interspersed with a variety of conifers (2017). The policy woodland to the east and south of the house is similarly composed and was extended to the southeast in the early 20th century. The avenue to the burial vault is largely lined with sycamore and beech trees planted from around the mid-19th century, with some rhododendrons evident (2017).

 

The policy woodland and shelter planting provides a multi-layered scenic backdrop to the garden, house and dovecot, whilst creating a sheltered garden environment with good growing conditions.

The Gardens

The main garden area at Malleny is contained within the walled garden (see under Walled Garden). Elsewhere, there are small private gardens associated with some of the cottages within the designed landscape. Notably, the garden of Blue Cottage contains a Chestnut Rose that is larger than that in the walled garden.

 

There is also a lawn in front of Malleny House, maintained as a wildflower meadow, and containing native orchids (2018). The beds around the northern perimeter of the house contain shrubs and perennials.

Walled Gardens

The walled garden appears on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1853) but likely predates this mid-19th century date. The garden was developed extensively in the late-19th and early 20th centuries. Although it was almost entirely replanted in the 1960s, the overall structure is mostly retained. It currently holds a wide variety of heritage roses, including a National Collection of 19th-century shrub roses (2017). The house forms a southern boundary to the garden and the western wall extends behind the house, following the line of Bavelaw Burn to the rear.

The garden is divided by gravel paths into five lawn areas or compartments. These are flanked by wide informal borders of herbaceous perennials and shrubs. A 17th or 18th century clipped yew hedge also bisects the garden on a roughly north-south axis. The western compartment slopes gently down towards the burn and contains a vegetable patch to the northwest, which was reduced in size during the late 20th century. There are also a number of specimen trees located near the house, including a large Atlas cedar, which terminates the yew hedge and acts as a focal point within the garden.

The eastern compartment is dominated by the four remaining yews, known as the 'Four Evangelists'. These were part of the group of twelve planted in the early 17th century. The other eight, which were located towards the house, were removed in 1961. The former croquet lawn or bowling green occupies a long, narrow strip to the east. The pagoda-like visitor entrance gate was inserted into the east wall in 1972, in place of a former croquet pavilion or games hut. The two glasshouses to the northeast corner are used for propagation and display. A sundial, dated 1700, is located to the southeast corner but this is not likely its original position. A slated rubble-stone bothy abuts the west wall.

The existing heritage rose collection was enhanced in the 1960s by roses gifted by Major Hog of Newliston House, Kirkliston. The collection was further expanded by the National Trust for Scotland, following their acquisition of the site in 1968. Currently there are over 150 varieties of roses within the garden, including the National Collection of 19th-century shrub roses (2018). These are generally concentrated to the southeast corner but they are also interspersed within the mixed borders.

Although relatively formal, the structure of the garden is slightly asymmetrical and the paths are not entirely linear. The subdivided layout and structural planting screens views across the wider garden, with views channelled towards key features such as the house, yew trees and sundial. These factors mean the garden reveals itself slowly and therefore appears larger than its true extent.  

References

Bibliography

Canmore: https://canmore.org.uk/site/257013/malleny-house-walled-garden CANMORE ID 257013.

Maps and Archives

Adair, J. (c.1682) A Map of Midlothian; Surveyed by Mr. J. Adair, Edinburgh: Cooper.

Armstrong, A. (1773) Map of the Three Lothians, Edinburgh.

Blaeu, J. (1654) Lothian and Linlitquo, Amsterdam: Blaeu.

Knox, J. (1816) Map of the Shire of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.

Ordnance Survey (Survey date: 1852, Publication date: 1853) Edinburghshire Sheet 5 (includes: Currie; Edinburgh; Kirknewton; Ratho), 6 inches to the mile, 1st Edition, Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (Survey date: 1893, Publication date: 1894-95) Edinburghshire Sheet 006.12 & 006.08 (includes: Currie), 25 inches to the mile, 2nd and later editions, Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (Survey date: 1905, Publication date: 1907) Edinburghshire Sheet 006.12 & 006.08 (includes: Currie), 25 inches to the mile, 2nd and later editions, Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (Survey date: 1912, Publication date: 1913) Edinburghshire Sheet 006.12 & 006.08 (includes: Currie), 25 inches to the mile, 2nd and later editions, Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Pont, T. and Hondius, H. (1636) A New Description of the Shyres Lothian and Linlitquo, Amsterdam: H. Hondius.

Roy, W. (1747-55) The Military Survey of Scotland; Edinburghshire, © The British Library, Licensor SCRAN.

Thompson, J. (1821) Atlas of Scotland; Edinburgh Shire, Edinburgh: J. Thompson & Co.

National Archives of Scotland, Accounts and Discharges for building and garden work of Captain John Scott of Malleny in Papers of the Dick-Lauder family of Fountainhall, GD41/95.

National Archives of Scotland, Notes of trees and seedlings on the estate of Malleny in Papers of the Dick-Lauder family of Fountainhall, GD41/329.

National Trust for Scotland, (c.1987) Research material relating to Malleny House and garden (Wester Lymphoy), Canmore, Historic Environment Scotland; Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland, Ref - MS 499/14/229.

Historic Environment Scotland, (1787) Malleny House – A List of Vegetables and Fruit Trees Ordered for Scott of Malleny, 1787, Historic Environment Scotland Archives, John Sinclair House, Edinburgh, Ref - D 7.23 MAL P.

Printed sources

Campbell, K. (2007) Policies and Pleasaunces – A Guide to the Gardens of Scotland, London; Barn Elms Publishing, pp.129-130.

Cox, K (2014) Scotland for Gardeners – The Ultimate Guide to Scottish Gardens, Nurseries and Garden Centres, Edinburgh; Birlinn Ltd., pp. XVII-XXV, XXX-XXXII, 451.

Greenoak, F. (2005) The Gardens of The National Trust for Scotland, London; Aurum Press Ltd. pp.161-167.

Gore-Browne Henderson, (1976) Malleny House, Balerno, Edinburgh; National Trust for Scotland.

Geddie, J. (1898) The Home County of R.L. Stevenson; Being the valley of the water of Leith from source to sea, London; H. White, p.51.

Land Use Consultants, (1982) An Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland Vol.5, Lothian and Borders, Countryside Commission for Scotland and Historic Buildings and Monuments Directorate of the Scottish Development Department, pp.155-159.

Maxwell, Sir Herbert. (1911) Scottish Gardens, London; Edward Arnold, pp. 95-96.

National Trust for Scotland, (c.2010) Welcome to Malleny Garden.

Tweedie, J. (no date) Points of Interest in a Walk to Malleny from Currie, Edinburgh; Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments Scotland.

Tweedie, J. and Jones, C. (1975) Our District: The Historical Background of Currie and Ratho Parishes, Edinburgh; Currie District Council, pp. 39-41.

Online sources

Burke, J. (1836) A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland Enjoying Territorial Possessions Or High Official Rank, But Uninvested with Heritable Honours, Vol.III, London; Henry Colburn, pp.170-173.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=upFIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA172&dq=malleny&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW5uHL3s_YAhVJPRQKHZuBDHUQ6AEIRDAF#v=onepage&q=malleny&f=false [accessed 11/01/2018]

City of Edinburgh Council, (2003) Balerno Conservation Area Character Appraisal. https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/377090/balerno_conservation_area [accessed 10/01/2018]

Cockburn, H. (1874) Journal of Henry Cockburn: A Continuation of the Memorials of His Time, 1831-1854, Vol. II, Edinburgh: Edmonston and Douglas, pp.145-146 https://archive.org/details/journalofhenryco02cockuoft [accessed 13/03/2018]

Dingwall, C. (2007) Edinburgh Survey of Gardens and Designed Landscapes, 079 Malleny Park (Wester Lymphoy / Limphoy), Edinburgh; City of Edinburgh Council and Peter McGowan Associates. www.edinburgh.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/241/malleny_park.pdf [accessed 16/01/2018]

Edinburgh Local Development Plan, City of Edinburgh Council, http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20069/local_development_plan_and_guidance/66/edinburgh_local_development_plan [accessed 02/05/2018]

Groome, F.H. (1896) The Ordnance Gazetteer or Scotland, 2nd edition, Edinburgh, p.5.

http://www.gazetteerofscotland.org.uk/scotland/gazettr.htm [accessed 11/01/2018]

Hills, T. and Hindson, T. (2010) Ancient, Veteran, Notable and Extraordinary -

A new classification of the yew population of Great Britain and Ireland, Ancient Yew Group, p.10.

https://www.ancient-yew.org/userfiles/file/Protocol1fccopy.pdf [accessed 27/02/2018]

Ordnance Survey Name Books, (1852-53) Midlothian volume 28, OS1/11/28/7. https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/midlothian-os-name-books-1852-1853/midlothian-volume-28/7 [accessed 10/01/2018]

Plant Heritage, National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens. http://www.nccpg.com/National-Collections/Collection-Results.aspx?id=652 [accessed 11/01/2018]

The Tree Register – Champion Tree Database. http://www.treeregister.org/champion-trees.shtml [accessed 10/01/2018]

About the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

The inventory is a list of Scotland's most important gardens and designed landscapes. We maintain the inventory under the terms of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We add sites of national importance to the inventory using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

The information in the inventory record gives an indication of the national importance of the site(s). It is not a definitive account or a complete description of the site(s). The format of records has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries about development proposals, such as those requiring planning permission, on or around inventory sites should be made to the planning authority. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications of this type.

Find out more about the inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Water fountain and Irish Yews, looking west towards Malleny House, during daytime, on a cloudy day.
Malleny walled garden, looking south towards the four yew trees with Malleny House in the background, during daytime, on clear day with blue sky and white clouds.
Malleny walled garden, looking northwest towards the Atlas cedar, with heritage roses in the foreground, during daytime, on clear day with blue sky and white clouds.
Sundial in the walled garden, looking northeast towards the four yew trees and glasshouse, during daytime, on clear day with blue sky and white clouds.
Walled garden looking southwest towards house and Atlas cedar, during daytime, on a clear day with white clouds in the sky.
Map
Walled garden, looking north towards the bowling green/croquette lawn, with the four yew trees and the 1970 entrance gate, during daytime, on cloudy day.
Arched opening in yew hedge, looking west within walled garden, during daytime, on a clear day with blue sky and white clouds.
Walled garden, looking northwest towards the glasshouse and shelter woodland, during daytime, on clear day with blue sky and white clouds.

Printed: 23/11/2019 00:01