Inventory Garden & Designed Landscape

BROOKLANDSGDL00073

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Date Added
01/07/1987
Date Removed:
09/05/2017
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkpatrick Durham
NGR
NX 81108 72887
Coordinates
281108, 572887

An early 19th-century designed landscape, containing an attractive well-stocked woodland garden, and a beautifully laid-out walled garden featuring old-fashioned roses.

Main Phases of Landscape Development

c.1830-1854, further planting c.1900, additions to the plant collection 1919-1947, woodland garden established late 1940s-1960s, improvements and maintenance second half of the 20th century-present.

Removal Reason

Based on current knowledge, this site no longer meets the criteria for the inventory.

Artistic Interest

Level of interest
High

Brooklands has high value as a Work of Art in its present form, due mainly to the layout of the walled garden.

Historical

Level of interest
Some

Brooklands has some Historical interest although available documentation of its early development is scant.

Horticultural

Level of interest
Outstanding

The plant collection is of outstanding Horticultural significance.

Architectural

Level of interest
High

The designed landscape provides the setting for buildings of interest and has high Architectural value.

Archaeological

Level of interest
Not Assessed

Scenic

Level of interest
Some

The designed landscape, Lodge and Folly provide some value to the surrounding scenery.

Nature Conservation

Level of interest
Some

The pond provides some Nature Conservation value within the designed landscape

Location and Setting

Brooklands is situated in the lee of Brooklands Hill 797' (243m), approximately 2km west of the village of Crocketford and 7.5 miles (12km) north-east of the town of Castle Douglas. The A712 forms the southern boundary of the site. The house stands overlooking the park and affords magnificent panoramic views to the surrounding upland farmland and, on a clear day, as far as the Isle of Man. To the west, beyond Brooklands Glen, Rough Hill is open moorland. The garden itself stands on the 560' contour and its exposed situation renders it susceptible to strong prevailing north-westerly winds and also spring frosts.

The designed landscape is of some scenic significance from the A712 due to its position on the south-facing slope. The lodge and folly which stand at the entrance to the east drive are of particular scenic significance.

The house at Brooklands stands within some 128 acres (52ha) of designed landscape which extends north to the woodland on Brooklands Hill, south the A712, west to the minor road through Brooklands Glen and east to the Lodge. Eastlands Farm which stands on the southern edge of the policies is now separately owned.

Documentary evidence of the development of the designed landscape is provided by a plan of the estate in 1839, the 1st edition OS map of 1854, the 2nd edition OS map of c.1900, the modern edition of the OS map, and a survey commissioned by the owner in 1983. Comparison of these maps shows that whilst the northern and western boundaries have receded slightly, the extent of the policies has remained constant since the mid-19th century. The view to the south across the parkland appears to have been a major factor in the situation of the house and remains so today.

Site History

Little is known of the exact history of the development of the designed landscape of Brooklands. The house was built c.1830 for a merchant named Brown and was originally called Brycemawhirn. The policies appear to have been laid out between then and 1854 as they are shown on the 1st edition OS map surveyed in that year. Its name is thought to have been changed to Brooklands by George Charles Jones, the next owner, who left the estate to the care of Trustees for educational purposes. It was run as a school until c.1876, when a chapel and school were built into the Lodge. The estate was sold c.1900 to the Bone Family who was responsible for an addition to the house and further planting in the grounds. The Bones sold the property to the Hon Air Commodore John Boyle in 1919 and, although a serving officer in the RAF, he was responsible for the addition of the hard Tennis Court and many of the larger hybrids which are still very much in evidence. During his latter years and during World War II the house was let and it was during that time that the general dilapidation of the garden and policies took place. After the war the house was sold and bought by Brigadier and Mrs Jebb in 1947 who immediately began the restoration of the garden and policies and who also built an additional two rooms on to the Lodge. Mrs Jebb brought the former gamekeeper from his Northumberland Estate to Brooklands where he assumed the role of head gardener. Between them, they skilfully established the woodland garden and restored the management of the policies.

In 1968 Mrs Jebb died, and Brooklands was purchased by Mr & Mrs Peter Maclaren. They retained the help of Mrs Jebb's gardener and continued the development of the woodland garden. The walled garden at that time was used exclusively for vegetables and has since been transformed into a garden of particular ornamental and botanical interest.

Landscape Components

Architectural Features

Brooklands is a stone house, built c.1820. The identity of the Architect is unknown. The house was doubled in size symmetrically in c.1900 with a Doric Portico forming the entrance feature. The 19th century Lodge and Folly are jointly listed C. The Lodge consists of a separate square Neo-gothic tower with an additional two-storey wing on the north side. The Folly, which stands opposite the Lodge on the south side of the A712, is a battlemented wall with a projecting centre portion and arched doorway. A sundial, the origin of which is unknown, stands in the centre of the walled garden.

Parkland

The main park extends from the house to the A712 and forms the setting for the panoramic views to the south. It is separated from the main east drive along its northern boundary by a ha-ha. The 1st edition OS map of 1854 indicates the presence of several small tree clumps in the park. Many of these have since been lost since there appears to have been no replanting programme; the remaining beech and lime trees all date from c.1830.

A smaller area of parkland lies to the north of the east drive between the woodland garden and the pond. The single tree clump indicated on the 1st edition OS map has now gone. The pond, which also appears on this map, has recently been improved.

Woodland

The structure of the woodlands was, like the park, established as part of the 1830's layout. Beech was the main component of these early plantings, with some lime. Additional planting appears to have been carried out around 1900.

The woodland in Brooklands Glen is now outwith the policies as is that to the north of Fairy Hill. The remaining policy woodlands are relatively young, dating from 1968, although established trees have been left at the edges. Beech remains as a large component of the species mix but Nothofagus and Acer spp. are being introduced, as well as some conifers.

Walled Gardens

The walled garden, situated to the north-east of the house, is an interesting, irregular shape, enclosed by a 10 feet high wall which is curved at the east end. Entry to the garden is by a wrought-iron gate in the south-west corner. Within the shelter of the walls, the garden is divided into six plots by intersecting paths, two of which are devoted to a collection of old-fashioned shrub roses. The other four are centred on a sundial and the plants which line the paths converging on it have been laid out with great attention to the colour combination, both backed by rose hedges; one has largely pinks, blues and greys whilst the other has golds, yellows and blues. Interesting shrubs include Staphylea incisa, Rhus potanii and Syringa x persica, while scent is provided by Daphne blagayana, amongst others. The walls are lined with interesting climbers, including Rosa una, Lonicera splendida and L. tragophylla, and Actinidia kolomikta. The overall effect is splendid.

References

Bibliography

Sources

Printed Sources

'A Garden of Sheep-Walk Pastures', Allen Paterson

Country Life, Dec 4, 1980

Survey Plan of Brooklands, 1839

The Gardens of Scotland, A. Little, 1981

Listings

About the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

The inventory is a list of Scotland's most important gardens and designed landscapes. We maintain the inventory under the terms of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

We add sites of national importance to the inventory using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

The information in the inventory record gives an indication of the national importance of the site(s). It is not a definitive account or a complete description of the site(s). The format of records has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Enquiries about development proposals, such as those requiring planning permission, on or around inventory sites should be made to the planning authority. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications of this type.

Find out more about the inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

BROOKLANDS
BROOKLANDS
BROOKLANDS

Printed: 23/09/2021 06:39